Pages

Tuesday 4 April 2017

End In Sight?



Monday 27th March 2017

In response to Dominic Berry’s question: What Have you achieved with your Monday? Here goes: Commented on fourteen student papers, completed outcome tracker form for evening course, completed three lesson plans, part revised a Scheme of Learning form, bought and trimmed A4 paper, made up nine Writing Half-Marathon books, selected thirteen prompts for the workshop. Keyed in and edited three days of journal. Uploaded a blog post. Selected student work to submit to college. Emailed my publisher, resisted the temptation to tweak my new book till tomorrow. Talked to parents on phone. Read twenty-seven inspirational Henry Rollins quotes. Watched the six o'clock news, ate six Thorntons mini toffee chocolate cakes, a whole meat feast Tesco pizza, two eggs on toast, a cheese sandwich. Listened to Alison Moyet. Looked at loads of pix of Toyah Willcox, read an article on Einsturzende Neubauten's upcoming gig at the Boiler Room, trimmed unwanted body hair, picked at a scab, drank about a litre of water with orange cordial, read some Ian McMillan poems and made sure I've got clean pants for tomorrow.

Feel like I’ve already done my entry in the thing I put on Dominic’s Facebook post. In addition to that I did morning pages, checked the dates of the next bunch of music gigs I’m going to. They include TV Smith, Einsturzende Neubauten, The Mission and Toyah Willcox.

My ears are ringing big-style. Not sure I should go to full-on electro gigs anymore. Wish I’d knocked off work earlier tonight. Still have college paperwork to sort out. 11.26 pm.


Tuesday 28th March 2017

‘And you know what thought did.’ Now that the Tuesday evening course has finished I thought I’d have an easier week. Spent a lot of time going over checks on my new book. Switched to lesson planning around quarter to ten and got a load of handouts sorted. Almost through my second toner cartridge on the laser printer in less than a month and I’ve got through four reams of paper. Ready for bed now. Hammered. 11.12 pm.


Wednesday 29th March 2017

Today’s workshops were great. Enjoyed 26-word stories and Kennings and Consequences at Saint Cuthbert’s Hospice this morning. Daisychain and Tritina at Cambian Appletree this afternoon. Met up with Jenni for tea at The Goose. I always overeat when I go out for a meal. We went for a wander through Eldon Square – knick-knacks in Tiger then books in Works. More food at Tesco. Jen showed me the progress on her room overhaul. I tried hard not to talk about my book but failed somewhat. Want to have another look at it tomorrow. 
Tired and up early for another edit session. 11.25 pm.


Thursday 30th March 2017

Good little writing half-marathon for Colour your Life at PCP this afternoon. Nine prompts. Some stuff I might be able to use as poetry. Two more read-throughs of ‘Laughter to Split Glass’ on the bus to Durham, Newton Aycliffe and Newcastle. Went to Kathleen Kenny’s event at the Lit & Phil. Some great new voices from her Newcastle and South Shields writing groups. Then a very productive meeting with Sheila Wakefield of Red Squirrel Press for the book. Staying at Jenni’s place tonight. Tomorrow we’re going out to get her a new microwave oven. OK. 11.07 pm.


Friday 31st March 2017

Despite ten hours sleep I still felt knackered when I got up. Jenni is well-chuffed with her purple microwave oven from Wilko. We lazed on the futon and watched quiz shows for a couple of hours when we got back. My bus connections were good tonight. Home by quarter to eight. I’ve keyed in all the changes to the book. NaPoWriMo begins tomorrow. Thirty poems in thirty days. Even if I choose to do it I doubt I’ll post any of my efforts online. 11.47 pm.


Saturday 1st April 2017

Really concerned about the computer. USB stick working fine as back-up all day then tonight it just won’t save. PC froze and wouldn’t shut down properly when I tried to reboot. Had to switch off at the wall. Need the book sent off as soon as possible in case anything goes wrong with my hard drive. 10.40 pm.


Sunday 2nd April 2017

Was up till almost three this morning. Got the book off to Red Squirrel Press and am pretty chuffed with it. Up again at nine o’clock, sorted paperwork. Out to Jenni’s place this afternoon. She made a PDF of the book and I put it on my tablet. Watched New Tricks and Yes, Prime Minister. Had a steak pasty and Ribena. Canny day. 10.10 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment