Pages

Wednesday 1 November 2017

Days Away



Monday 23rd October 2017 
 
Pleased there aren't many people on the 45. I have a big bag of dirty laundry and it's been a bit whiffy in the house. I'm at the back of the bus and it's very warm. It's an old double decker; passengers who smell something a bit stale may just think it's this ancient vehicle. It’s a bit of a boneshaker. Is there any fucking suspension at all?
 
Today has been a busy one. In town first thing for bank transactions and foodstuff for my Leicester trip. Bit of panic getting the rest of the workshop stuff sorted, but Jenni isn't expecting me till mid evening. Looking forward to seeing Jarboe tomorrow. Just discovered today that Megabus stop isn't actually in Leicester city centre. An hour walk. Or half hour bus. Last bus back tomorrow to coach pick up is 11.00 pm. Which is gig curfew time. Don't want a repeat of London Jarboe gig in 2015 – when I had to leave after just three songs –  so I guess I'll be walking an hour around midnight tomorrow into Wednesday to catch return Megabus departing Fosse Park at 2.10am. So plenty of time.
 
Chuffed to get a copy of Helen Steadman's novel "Widdershins" from the library this morning. The last reading group copy not actually logged onto the system. Told staff I'd read it tomorrow and return as soon as possible. Going to buy a copy online to get signed next month in Newcastle. Would start reading it now but a bit knackered. Fuck knows what I'll be like this time tomorrow. And by Wednesday's workshops - don't even think about it. 7.33 pm. 


Tuesday 24th October 2017 
 
The bus ticket from Newcastle said change at Nottingham. I got out there and asked the luggage handler about connection times. ‘This is the Leicester bus,’ he said. ‘Don't get off here!’  Well it don't fucking say stay on the bus on the ticket. But that's okay.
 
Another hour and I was in the unusually warm late October air asking an Asda worker for directions. Walking  from Fosse Park retail area to Leicester City Centre. Jesus, people get up early here. Quarter past five and men and women walking to work, cycling to work. I ask if I'm on the right road and get told yes, but it's an hour.
 
Not too hard really. Straight road to Tesco, turn right at the Premier Inn them straight into St Nicholas Walk. Only thing open was McDonald's and I was bursting for the toilet. Cheekily, I used the facilities but didn't make a purchase. 
 
There are some loud men around the City centre at six in the morning. There's a Wetherspoons open at eight. So it’s going to be a while before I can get my cooked breakfast. Bacon and eggs and a small drink. Maybe even just water and I'm going to sit there till about ten then I'm going to find the venue and the bus station, and then hang out in the city library with ‘Widdershins’.  I must be a little nuts to come all this way for a twenty-one hour stay without accommodation. But if it stays dry I'll be able to walk back to Fosse Park at midnight and not have to bother with taxi fare. Last bus is eleven from the Haymarket bus station. Have a feeling the gig won't be finished by then. I wonder what a taxi would cost from the venue. Hopefully the weather will stay fine. I only got a few hours sleep coz some fucking god-awful percussive clattering and banging was occurring within the bus fittings right by my ear-hole. All the way to Sheffield. A woman got on and sat next to me and fell asleep awhile. She woke about four so I asked if we could swap seats. She was chuffed to have the window to lean on, but I think the clatter soon pissed her off. I hope I can get some sleep in the library. Or even the venue. 
 
I have my camera, my android tablet, some drinks, chocolate. Leicester city centre seems bigger than Newcastle. Hope I don't get lost. St Nicholas Way seems the central route and is pedestrianised. Walking three and a half miles in the dark I thought, fuck man, I've got it easy. Imagine getting up at half-four every morning, then walking or cycling in the dark. I rock up at a drop-in centre mid morning, hog the photocopier then use the microwave to get my lunch before doing a two-hour informal writing workshop then have another break. But I reckon tomorrow might wreck me somewhat. So long as I get some sleep I should survive. The bin men are out in their orange high visibility jackets emptying the rubbish. And hey, nearby there goes the first Arriva bus. I'm full of shit and I need some pop. Maybe a biscuit too. Think today will be pretty good. 6.32 am.


'For the sea will swallow up the mountains
And the sky will throw thunderbolts and sparks'
 
Those were the Nick Cave lines that rose up as I fought against sleep in Leicester Central Library this afternoon. I moved seats, found a little table and removed my glasses, rested my head on my arms. But not for long. Soon above me a stern voice said "You're not supposed to be asleep." And the woman was absolutely right. I came here to read a novel, but I didn't get enough sleep on the overnight bus. And consequently have felt rather hammered since breakfast. The Leicester Central Library, as well as having the collected lyrics of Nick Cave 1978-2013 also has a copy of ‘The Sickbag Song’. It’s a brilliant travelogue, epic prose and verse sequence - more vivid and arresting than anything I've read today. I will persevere with the Widdershins novel, but won't get anywhere near half-way today. I’ve had traditional English breakfast, I've had a Tesco steak pie. Mars bar, Polos and Kettle chips, Ibuprofen and a litre of fluid. In about an hour from now, around four-thirty I think I'll take a walk down to The Musician Pub and find out what time the gig finishes. I might even get to say hello to Jarboe. Last time one in London in 2015 she was in the venue by the window around six pm. I wrote her a note about the mix-up with stage times and running late. She said I could have introduced myself at the soundcheck. I might try to do that today. Right now I want to ditch the novel and read ‘The Sickbag Song’. Maybe Consett Library can get me a copy. Anyway, it's good to put pen to paper for a little while. 3.24 pm.

The High Cross Wetherspoons was too full for me after the library, so I went to Tesco and just got some flavoured water and bananas then walked down to the gig venue. Staff were really cool. One of them knows of Consett. The doorman told me about some of the bands who have played The Musician. On the walls are numerous posters and framed signed pictures. Apparently Nazareth arrived on a tour bus bigger than the building. Lush Jarboe poster on the door. I spoke to Freddie from Father Murphy who said Jarboe will probably sign stuff. Mr fan-boy here might even get a photo. Apparently only thirty-five advance tickets sold so it'll be an intimate gig. And  might be finished by half ten. But no hurry to get back to the coach stop. I heard soundcheck from outside and  it was pretty loud. Pleased I've got plugs. Chuffed to be here. 8.23 pm. 


Wednesday 25th October 2017
 
Last person to write with this pen was Jarboe. About ten hours ago. Really good to see her play last night backed by Father Murphy. And to meet her after the show. She remembered the picture I drew of her back in 1999. And the book quote she gave for ‘Hypomaniac’. She was very nice. Signed a couple of items and had a photo with me as well. Staff of the Musician pub were great. I loved the venue and am keen to go back when there's someone else playing that I want to see. Feet aching this morning. Limped round a 24 hour Asda at Fosse Park. But the trip worked out brilliantly. Connections fine. Got a bit of sleep on the bus back to Newcastle. Bit reluctant to go for more sleep at Jen's this morning in case I’m late for the workshop. Could possibly manage an hour. 
 
Toyah Willcox is on breakfast telly just after nine and I'd like to see her. Strange, she plays to small audiences of about 150 people but still gets on TV regularly with her acting and presenting. This time yesterday I was in Wetherspoons in Leicester. Having just polished off my trad breakfast. This time tomorrow hopefully I'll be sleeping.  I need to charge up the android tablet for today's writing sessions. Should've plugged into the mains before starting these pages. No clothes in my luggage. Just the camera and the Jarboe stuff and the lesson plan materials. Lush to get a shower as soon as I got back. Maybe if I could stay in bed till ten that would be okay. But reckon I'll just sleep in and miss my work so if I go into Waddy I might get an hour’s sleep in a comfy chair. Plus I can rest after the Appletree writing session which is just a simple A2Z poem. This evening could be tricky, but by half six I might be perked up. Can feel my eyes wanting to close now. Totally chuffed to do the Jarboe trip for less than thirty quid. Excluding travel from mine to Jen's, of course; I'd have spent money at the weekend for the bus and I’ll get my Explorer ticket as usual for today. I won't be using these pages as an example in evening session. Aiming to have them done by five past nine when Toyah is on telly. Then I might just lie down here for a while. Going to get my pix uploaded tonight from the gig. Tomorrow will be a bit of a lazy day for me. Mainly just sleeping. I didn't get much of the Widdershins book read. Maybe I'll just stay off the computer and read instead. Then go out to Gong Fu poets night at Tony Gadd's place in Coxhoe. Have a feeling I’ll not be able to make it home on bus from there though. Suppose easiest way if there are Newcastle people present is to just get a lift back to Newcastle and stay here at Jen’s or last Newcastle bus back to Consett. Will need another Explorer tomorrow. Good to have a bit of a laze here. Was mint to read ‘The Sickbag Song’ by Nick Cave yesterday. One of the best poetry books I've read in a long while. I gave Jarboe a copy of Shades of Grey, told her to enjoy the rest of her tour. Really good to finally meet her after 28 years of being a fan of her music. Hope to get back to normal sleep pattern by Friday so I can work. And hope I don't fuck up on anything in the coming days. Okay, almost Toyah time. 8.59 am.
 

LATER: Well, I somehow managed to survive two workshops after a second night of less than five hours sleep. At two o’clock this morning I was in a 24 hour Asda at Fosse Park a few miles out of Leicester city centre – and two o’clock this afternoon I was walking into the small room at Appletree in Meadowfield where the writing workshops happen. Managed to get an hour in a comfy chair back at Waddy before evening session. Both workshops went well. Good to get back to Moorside and see how well the photo of me and Jarboe turned out. So pleased Freddie of Father Murphy took it coz the selfies didn’t work at all. Thanks to him for the perfect souvenir. Think I’m gonna need a big lazy day tomorrow. Then it’s a night a Gong Fu Poets in Coxhoe. 11.35 pm.
 
 
Thursday 26th October 2017
 
Bit of a lazy recovery day. Slept in late after being on buses Tuesday and Wednesday night. Caught up on internet activity and made up a couple more pamphlets. Tried to read Widdershins on the bus to Durham this afternoon but kept falling asleep. Gong Fu poets in Coxhoe was mint. Don’t know how Tony got so many to come but it was well impressive. Generous sets from all the guests – Aidan Clarke, Jamie Thrasivoulou, and Scott Tyrrell on top form. Canny open mic from David Roe, Sarah Crutwell, Susie McComb, Diane Cockburn, Mark Smith and others. James Oates gave me a lift home. Wouldn’t have been able to get home otherwise. Not even to Jenni’s place unless I could catch a late train. Well organised line-ups well hosted. Home to message from Red Squirrel Press about meeting to discuss book. Eating too much again. Need to lose weight. 11.50 pm. 
 
 
Friday 27th October 2017 
 
All the travel and excitement of the week seems to have caught up on me and I’ve spent a lot of time asleep today. Have work to do and am getting behind on books but couldn’t keep my eyes open. Chilly house as October draws to a close. And I’ve been on the couch in the slanket all evening reading Widdershins by Helen Steadman. Around page forty earlier this week I stalled, but having eaten curry and cake and feeling more awake I’ve managed to get through half of it. 17th century stupidity, ignorance and superstition, religious bigotry, misogyny – kicking in bigstyle. Just found out Toyah Willcox has two live dates nearby next year. Mint! 11.07 pm.


Saturday 28th October 2017 
 
Out to town for bank transactions this morning and some type-ups in Consett library. Then home for a sandwich and more keyboard malarkey. Been playing lots of Alison Moyet tracks in the run up to her gig at The Sage on Tuesday. Ordered a ticket for Toyah’s Up Close and Personal show in Yarm next February. Same week as Rollins talking slide show in Sheffield. Wrote a Halloween vignette and read more ‘Widdershins’ on the bus to Jen’s place. She has fallen down – bruised arm and hip, sore ribs. Watched some TV in bed then out for chips. Bit of QI and Later with Jools Holland. 10.55 pm. 
 
 
Sunday 29th October 2017 
 
Made a two minute trip to the toilet last three pages of freewriting before making chip butties for breakfast. Watched various crime dramas and Westerns today. Including one particularly absurd episode of Bonanza where a guy is put on trial for removing his hat in church. If Beckett or Kafka had written cowboy stories this might have been one of them. Read more Widdershins on the bus home. 10.49 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment