Pages

Wednesday 4 January 2023

DECEMBER

Thursday 1st December 2022

Sometimes getting over the doorstep these days is harder than doing some of those big bike rides I subject myself to every summer. I got a rough copy of the Bullion Hall Writers anthology printed. The cover needs a bit of tweaking and I’m not happy with the loss of stanza symmetry on a couple of my poems. But it’s for the other writers, not me. I could lose a couple of my pieces, no worries. Good to be back at Waddington Street Centre after a couple of weeks without workshops there. We had a good turnout for Poetry Jam. Over twenty people makes the room look quite full. Would like more female voices, mind. It was quite male heavy. Chris Hemingway is a good poet. Enjoyed his set. Kirsten wasn’t able to make it, so Jenni stepped in for the middle set. Lots of good open mic. I videoed a poem from each person who read. Jeff Price closed the night with poems from his Infinite Threads collaboration with photographer Chris Collister. Swift bus to Moorside. OK 11.42pm.


Friday 2nd December 2022

Took a while to wind down from Poetry Jam last night and I went to bed late. I was up a few times in the night but didn’t want to stray far from the bed this morning. I lost my USB stick with all my recent projects on it. I rang Waddy, where I last used it, but it wasn’t there. I tipped out all the clutter from my Samsonite bag. Then I remembered something falling from my trouser pocket when I fumbled for my door keys last night outside the house. Even with the passageway light on I couldn’t see anything on the path. But this morning I looked again and there, by the grass, my black USB stick. Wet with rain. Luckily the cap prevented any water damage. Relief… The stupid encrypted advertisement covering up my TalkTalk mobile screen has gone this morning. Relief… I reread the Bullion Hall anthology on the bus to the workshop. Lots more to proof. I sat with Martin and checked the booklet function on his printer. Pages will soon be good to go. But the cover is proving to be a pain. The group was good at sequencing material this afternoon. I think we are almost there with the selection. I didn’t get away till twenty to five. Thee and a half hours after arriving. Slept on the bus to Jen’s place. We chatted a bit then bused into Newcastle. Jenni went to see ‘Clipping’ perform at World HQ. I did some Xmas shopping. Back at the attic I checked the 2.13.61 store; the new Rollins book ‘Sic’ is now available. It’s a journal of the last three years, so not what was expected. I thought it would be Stay Fanatic Vol IV. Just had a power cut. Soon back on. But no internet. Hope PayPal has logged me out Okay. 10.10pm.


Saturday 3rd December 2022

Big lazy day. Still in bed at eleven. Jenni was up talking till ten past five this morning. Had tomato soup. Watched a bit of telly. Then out to Gateshead this afternoon. Got a new beanie hat and some food for tea. The house is a bit chilly tonight. We mostly just slept. I’ve been eating mostly ham and pease pudding sandwiches. 10.20pm.


Sunday 4th December 2022

Another lazy day. Jenni is all aches and pains. And very sleepy. I went out for more supplies to keep Jenni going for a couple of days. Watched a bit of The Last Detective starring Peter Davidson, Roger Daltrey and Sean Hughes. Then a bit of Strictly. And a couple of episodes of One Foot in the Grave – Mrs Warboys waxworks and lousy wallpaper. Bus from Newcastle okay. Home by eleven. 11.35pm.


Monday 5th December 2022

Good to do a writing half marathon with Consett Writers in the library this afternoon. Thirteen of us got through seven prompts. Chatted with Lorraine, Winston, Michael, Geoff and Maria for a while afterwards. Bought more supplies from Tesco. Walked home then made a fish finger sandwich. Read a few articles from the new Writing Magazine but it mashed my head. I don’t think I’m cut out for the hoop jumping required in the commercial publishing world. Several Consett writers are writing/have written novels. I am not cut from that cloth. Myopic to the core, I can only write my own journey. I don’t really know how people think and feel in the real world. DIY punk zine ethos till I drop. I have some ideas for 2023 but don’t want to make any announcements in case I fail to deliver. 11.10pm.


Tuesday 6th December 2022

If everyone just said FUCK OFF! at the same time the sound would be deafening and would send a message to those aiming to oppress us for the duration. But most of us are too shit scared of losing what little remaining creature comforts life affords us. So the boot just grinds down harder… Anyway, I got out on the bike today. I didn’t take my rucksack, so there and was less dampness on my layers when I got back. I’ve been chipping away at the Bullion Hall proofs again today. Had to keep warming my hands on a boiling kettle coz I keep making too many typing errors due to the cold. Listened to some Public Image Ltd. Read a review of the Martin Atkins gig in Brighton. I aim to be done with all work obligations by next Monday or Tuesday. It’s been a bit of a slog. Next spring can’t come soon enough. OK 10.59pm.


Wednesday 7th December 2022

The booklet for Bullion Hall has been a bit of a slog but I’m getting there. All the poems and prose pieces are in the correct order now. I just need a final punctuation check, some acknowledgements from Bullion Hall, and the cover design tweaked. I’ll be at home this weekend so it shouldn’t be too much hassle to pull everything together… The current affairs are getting alarming again. Is winter 2023/4 is going to be worse than this one? Mr Ex-Health Minister diarist handed his notice in to Downing Street… Biking in zero degrees was fun this morning. I worked all afternoon and evening whilst listening to Freya Ridings, a great singer songwriter. My left thumb is sore again. 11.41pm.


Thursday 8th December 2022

Minus two degrees this morning, I think. Didn’t get up till nearly ten. My intention was to go to Newcastle to do shopping then maybe drop in on Elaine Cusack’s memoir workshop – until I realised it was in Morpeth; why did I think Gateshead? – and then onto King Ink spoken word in Sunderland. I got to Newcastle at half-two. No Xmas shopping done. Bought cardstock and a 2023 diary. Checked out some books in Waterstones then went to Burger King for an economy double melt with fries. Got a 21-bus to Gateshead to board the 56 to Sunderland coz the timetable for the latter was non existent in Newcastle, even though the bus goes through Market Street, and the bus driver I asked couldn’t help. King Ink was great. The open mic packed in a lot of people including three newcomers. Strong stuff on national strikes, some great winter verse, Steve May’s politician monologue was superb. And his piece about time spent with the late Patrick Shannon was a lovely tribute. I liked Chris Hodgson’s Santa poem. And Aron Wright’s on a similar note. Pauline Plummer’s set was very engaging. Particularly liked the one about George the Mormon in the cinema, also the one about Quink Ink, which she read at the Lit and Phil during her book launch, and The Devil’s Shoes. Mel McEvoy read his fifteen NHS ‘Lift’ monologues. Powerful stuff. I have books from both guests. I spoke to Steve May about venues and publishing. There was cheesecake, Quality Street, Soreen fruity bites, mince pies and King Ink mini zines. Big thanks to Helen Wilko for printing one of my poems. I won’t get home till midnight. 10.20pm.


Friday 9th December 2022

Lovely little bike ride on frozen trails t’other side of the River Derwent today. Exposed tree roots were a bit lethal with narrower tyres - and the fallen leaves concealed some ‘nice’ surprises but otherwise all good. I was out about two hours. Then did a bit of booklet work but have been too cold indoors to work much. I’m into three pairs of trousers and three long-sleeved tops. It’s minus two degrees. My hands are chilly, and my feet are numb. If you wear multiple layers of socks, they just cut off circulation. And your feet get colder. Think I’ll try some super high tog fleece socks that cost four quid from Poundland. I will need to get all the booklet stuff done over the weekend. I listened to PIL tonight. Jenni sent me an interesting article about Janis Ian’s difficult career. Laryngitis recently left scarring on her vocal cords and it’s unlikely she’ll regain her singing voice. After Richard Pearce’s video-prompt on my bike post, I watched some Cyclocross. It initially looked absolutely disgusting and totally soul destroying - but some impressive moves, particularly the guy who scoots up the edge of some steps mid-course. Some canny bunny hops as well but, basically, CycloCross looks as though it was dreamt up by the bike industry for the express purpose of destroying equipment and rider with mud and collision. I'm gonna watch some more. And some Chris Akrigg trials videos. 10.42pm.


Saturday 10th December 2022

Canny day. I’ve got the Bullion Hall Writers Anthology on the home straight. Just need a few official acknowledgements and possibly a new title. Tomorrow I’ll have another crack at the cover. I’ve been out this afternoon for supplies and thermals. Even if extra warm clothing worked out the same price as the central heating, I’d rather give the money to a clothes store than a fucking energy company stakeholder. They only stake they need is through the fucking heart. Gonna get a sausage sandwich then go to bed. 11.33pm.


Sunday 11th December 2022

Another long day. Getting a bit stressed with the Bullion Hall book. I’m typing at zero degrees and trying to control the mouse and keys to position artwork. And trying to come up with a title is proving difficult. Can I have my winter break (not down) now? 11.49pm.


Monday 12th December 2022

Minus two on the bike this morning between nine and ten o’clock. No slips or punctures. Three pairs of gloves. Beanie under the skid lid. Extra sweatshirt. Great to escape the fog and ride under blue sky at Allensford… I had a crack at extending the Bullion Hall anthology booklets as requested. Pretty much there, give or take a couple of tweaks. Temperature is currently minus five. My feet are numb – but hey. I finally found my hot water bottle. In the kitchen. Down the back of the vegetable rack. My hands and feet have been fine tonight. I got a lot of typing done. Listened to Freya Ridings, Diamanda Galas and a couple of Depeche Mode albums. Currently blasting out Michael Monroe – ‘Hammersmith Palais’ and ‘Dead, Jail or Rock and Roll’. I’d like to see him next February at Newcastle City Hall. 10.36pm.


Tuesday 13th December 2022

Hassle with the Bullion Hall booklet but we’re nearly done now. It should get printed okay tomorrow. I hope we have the right card for it. I hope the machine doesn’t mess up. I know that I sound pessimistic as fuck but I’ve had many setbacks, so anything is possible. It was good to get out on the bike this morning. Minus five when I left the house. About minus three now. Been online chatting to Jenni. She has all the winter-warmer bedding on and is doing okay. But the boiler has buggered up in the big house so it’s kettles at the ready for hot water. That’s the way I’ve lived here since 2018. Maybe a bit earlier. It’s going to be pretty fucking brutal for a couple of months. Then trail riding and making books. 10.32pm.


Wednesday 14th December 2022

Stressful day. Up at half six to prepare for going to get the booklets printed. Left at half eight. By five past nine, after boarding the bus to Chester le Street, I realised that I’d forgotten my booklet stapler. I couldn’t get a bus back to Moorside until ten past ten. I didn’t get to Bullion Hall until 20 past twelve. Didn’t get printed till quarter past three. I only made up two copies so will go back tomorrow to finish off.

On a lighter note, Born Lippy was tremendous tonight. Loved it all. Zoe was one of the highlights for me. Just comically brilliant. Looking forward to catching her on TV in the coming months. Jo Colley was ace, and I got one of her books – Sleeper. And the youngsters were good. Cooper Robson is going to do very well on the circuit if he keeps going. His poems about privilege and poverty were ace. Sharp lines throughout and the intros were top notch as well. The slam was canny. Particularly liked the winner, Ben Douglass. Sky Hawkins got up and did a turn. Headliner Tex Johnson had some people up and dancing. Don Jenkins did his Del Shannon poem, which I’ve heard a few times and love. Sky was really full-on with the taxi driver on the way home: dead babies and robbing banks. Jenni has gone to Sky’s place with a bottle of peanut butter whisky. I’ve had cheese on toast. Still got coat and gloves on. There is no hot water. Bed soon. 11.32pm.


Thursday 15th December 2022

I went back into Bullion Hall and got the little anthology put together. Really pleased with it. BH wants to sell it for a fiver. If they can get that much for it, go for it. Back at Jen’s we watched a Tim Minchin interview on iPlayer then I nipped into Newcastle to buy a present plus oven chips and curry sauce. We have devoured a loaf of multi-seed in just over 24 hours. Back in Moorside, my copy of Cows and Jen’s Tim Minchin DVD mad it through the letter box. I am thermally base layered and fleeced. Still need to make up a new morning pages booklet. 12.46am.


Friday 16th December 2022

Thought I’d get a lie in coz I didn’t go to bed till twenty to two. But I was still back up by nine. Morning Pages were just another run through of my goals for next year. Mostly book related. I want to get a Hope Pro 4 Boost rear hub for the Sonder Frontier bike. And do some technical uphill riding next spring and summer. We’ll see how that dream flies or dies. I had a nice little bike ride this afternoon. Just an hour on the wet roads and hardpack snowy trails. My hands stayed warm, but my feet were cold, even with thermal socks on. I did some admin for the Bullion Hall Writers anthology. Considered a job at East Durham College but there’s no way I could get there on public transport. And no way they’d have me on zero qualifications. Had it been closer, I might have tried, but don’t think I could cope with full-on college work. Anyway, I’m pretty much done and ready for bed. 9.48pm.


Saturday 17th December 2022

Rang mam and Ernie this morning to arrange an Xmas meet-up. My house is too cold for them, and I’d have to put the heating on in the middle of the night to warm the place sufficiently for them to be comfortable. I think we are just going to get a drink in a pub or a cafĂ© on Tuesday. They are concerned that I will die of hypothermia. Give it another dozen or so years and it’s quite possible. But at present I’ll be alright. Ernie has had medical appointment hassles. Mam has recovered from her big month of flu. I am yet to get all the presents sorted. I need a load of wrapping paper. At lunchtime I started in on the Waddy paperwork. Thought it was going to be a total pain, but I got through it by mid-afternoon. Had a bowl of chicken soup for tea. Got changed. Bag packed. Thought I’d lost my wallet, but it was under a pile of socks. My house is so messy now I can lose something twenty seconds after putting it down. The walk to Consett was pleasant enough. I got bread and Dairylea at Tesco. Then walked to the station for a bus coz due to roadworks by the college, you can’t be sure which route the driver will take when leaving town. I’m currently feeling sick on the 47 via Chopwell to Newcastle. I hope I’m not going to get nauseous in future whilst scribbling and reading in motion. The buses are all screwed again. I’ll probably have to walk back to Bensham from Newcastle. Might get to Jen’s by about half-nine. 8.30pm.


Sunday 18th December 2022

Long lie in. Jen’s bed is super warm. I went to Tesco for foodstuff and a couple of Xmas presents. I’ve yet to get anything for Ernie. Jen was still in bed when I got back at half-one. I gave her a falafel wrap and I had soup. We watched an episode of Cabinet of Curiosities this afternoon. And some BGT magicians. Big pie and veg dinner at teatime was ace. Bus home was okay. I want something hot for supper. 11.44pm.


Monday 19th December 2022

Not a great day. I don’t really like Christmas shopping. Particularly when I’m limited to what’s in my hometown. The workmen still had had the road dug up so more diversions. I got a bit annoyed with the ‘card payment only’ self-service bullshit that is becoming standard everywhere. Long queue to pay cash or simply swipe and go? I chose the cash option. I made three trips into town and still have a few more things to buy. Home this evening for beef madras. Arranged time for visit from Ernie. I don’t know if Mam is coming along. I need to be ready by ten. So that means doing the wrapping tonight. It’s been two hours and I’ve only wrapped seven presents. Lots more to go. I reckon I’ll still be telling the Sellotape to Fuck-Off into the small hours. Today’s balmy twelve degrees made little dent on the fridge-like conditions in cellar twelve until tonight. 11.42pm.


Tuesday 20th December 2022

Canny day. Up early to continue Christmas wrapping. Mam and Ernie visited. First time Mam has sat down in my house for three years. I delivered presents and paperwork to Waddy and New College Durham. Quite easy falling back into the swing of things. Slept on the bus home. I’ve consumed a box of 20 fudge brownie mini bites. I’ve cleaned the pig gunk out of the George Foreman spill tray. I’ve had chicken and mushroom pasta without using milk, but too much clart for a bowl of food – ten minutes electricity. And microwave paint-stripping steam. Thin I’ll stick to Bonners tinned curries with rice. Four and a half minutes, tops. Been copying up Gratitude Journal and work-log this evening. Had a Cabinet of Curiosities chat with Jenni online. Okay. 10.38pm.


Wednesday 21st December 2022

My memory is getting worse. I rode over to Leadgate to post a card to Stephen Clark’s parents and when I reached the street I couldn’t remember the house number. A neighbour told me. Probably a couple of decades since I was last there. Before that I dropped a card in at the new home of childhood next-door neighbours. I was muddy and the bike likewise, so I didn’t knock, just pushed the card through the slot. Tonight, I got sick of the Tesco self-service machine spitting shrapnel at me, so I got my own back by paying for my meagre supplies with mostly 2p, 5p and 20p coins, and only one pound coin. Back home I read about national strikes and the possibility of covid making a big comeback. Early night for me, I reckon. 10.13pm.


Thursday 22nd December 2022

Snotty nose. Headache. Dog tired. Woke at half five. Too early. Didn’t get back to sleep. The new Rollins book arrived at half-nine. I think it might be his best for a couple decades. I’ve only flicked through it, but there is a section called ‘Beatings’ which is reminiscent of ‘Solipsist’ from 1998. This afternoon I did the tax return. Fingers crossed that goes okay. I will hopefully pay my National Insurance Contributions tomorrow. Then I’m done for the year. I hope to get some better sleep. and I don’t want to be thinking about work. It was good to listen to The Cult’s LOVE album this evening and some Michael Monroe tracks. I read a Darkthrone interview in which Ted Skjellum talks about refusing to accept modern approaches; it’s DIY punk and hardcore ethics all the way for this old Norwegian Black Metal duo. Soon be Christmas. Hope I’m okay to be at Jen’s this weekend. 9.50pm.


Friday 23rd December 2022

Slow day. Didn’t get up till half-ten. Felt a lot better for getting the extra hours of sleep after too many early starts. I wrapped up Jen’s presents then went into Consett for a Christmas card and to check finances. All the shops have removed their Christmas cards except Tesco so I could only get Jenni a small one. Had a curry back at my place then braved the pissing rain with my wheelie case. Got to Jen’s a bit earlier than expected coz the express driver let me off on Askew Road rather than having to stay on till Central Station and get another bus back to Bensham. Watched ‘Two Doors Down’ Christmas special and a bit of The Last Leg. Jenni played Sparks’ cover of Do-Re-Mi and Laibach’s cover of The Sound of Music. Jenni says she will probably make me a card with a bit of coloured paper and a marker pen. I have a snotty beak and it’s inevitable that Jenni gets my lurgy. But she says it’s okay for me to be here. I think it’s going to be a canny weekend. 11.17pm.


Saturday 24th December 2022

Still snotty. Been a bit slow. Me and Jenni went up the street to Gateshead town centre for final festive bits and pieces. Later this afternoon we spent some time with Sky Hawkins and listened to coloured vinyl ‘Hounds of Love’ album by Kate Bush. This evening I ate lots more lebkuchen with apricot centres. Loose Women won Britain Get Singing contest. I’m having more hot chocolate and a beef and tomato pot noodle for supper. The Fast Show on TV followed by Top of the Pops review of the year. 10.20pm.


Sunday 25th December 2022

Still snotty. Stayed in bed a good while. Exchanged gifts with Jenni. Got ace MOTH books, bits for bikes: air pump and multi-tool; socks and sweets; and cash from Mam and Ernie, Diane and Kyle; Lynx set from Jen’s mam. Jenni made a fantastic dinner at this afternoon. I slept sporadically throughout the day. Felt rougher than previous days. We watched music vids and soaps. Back in the attic around nine. My nose is leaking again. Fucking sick of it. 10.10pm.


Monday 26th December 2022

Feeling a bit better. Nose not so runny. We didn’t go out today. Watched a lot of TV. I read a story from The Moth. I’m going to enjoy all these autobiographical tales over the next few months. Me and Jenni spoke to Mam and Ernie on the phone this afternoon. Jenni talked to them a lot more than I did. Had red pepper and lentil soup with a cheese toastie. Watched The Voice Kids. Some ace little singers on there. I wore my big camouflage slipper socks, but my feet were still cold. Got a Christmas message from Stephen Clark. Haven’t had the internet on much today. 11.25pm.


Tuesday 27th December 2022

Big lie in. Then read a bit of We Peaked at Paper. The zine book’s first chapter is an interview with Sci-Fi specialist, Rob Hanson. Info on duplicating machines of the 1930s. Gestetner, etc. Me and Jenni went into Gateshead. More food. Bought a new salt grinder coz I fucked up the last one. Jenni got a lot of reduced-price meals and should be okay for the next couple of weeks. We watched The Voice Kids and enjoyed most of the songs. Then Frankie Boyle’s New World Order 2022 which was funny but fucking brutal. People have been beheaded for less. Enjoyed the big pie and veg dinner that Jenni made. I’m a bit dehydrated, got a bit of a headache. Think I need to be in bed. 10.55pm.


Wednesday 28th December 2022

Another lie in. I didn’t read much today. Big house Wi-Fi has been temperamental. We watched the new feature-length episode of The Detectorists on iPlayer which was ace. Then The Banshees of Inisherin, which reminded me a lot of Beckett’s plays. This evening it was Pointless Celebrities and The Weakest Link. The walk over the Redheugh Bridge into Newcastle was canny blustery. The bus out was fifteen minutes late. House okay when I got back. Took me an hour to unpack and sort my stuff out. Might be wearing too many layers at present. 11.35pm.


Thursday 29th December 2022

So today I paid the National Insurance Contributions at the bank and looked for a can of Bonners chicken tikka masala on the shelves at Barry's Bargain Superstore. Sweet potato coconut curry. Vegetable curry. Mild chicken curry. Chicken Katsu curry. Chicken and Vegetable Curry. Beef Madras. Chicken Korma. Chicken Balti. Chicken Jalfrezi. Beef curry. Chicken curry. Chicken vindaloo. But no chicken tikka masala. Got rained on a bit and picked up some reduced-price bargains in Tesco. All day breakfast sandwich: 70p. Six Warburton's crumpets: 20p. Read the opening chapter of ‘Sic’ by Henry Rollins. Three weeks of murder-induced depression followed by five days in Japan for a gig which only gets a one-line write-up. The rest is small rooms, record shops and battling inner demons. I stuck with it for three hours. Hands and feet got cold. I will be reading lots of stuff in 2023. And hopefully putting out more of my own writing. OK. 10.54pm.


Friday 30th December 2022

Good day. Bit of a lie in. Made up a new morning pages book and read a lot of the new Henry Rollins book. The journal parts are great. The fictional letters to money scammers not so hot. I had my first bacon sandwich of the season; I love my George Foreman grill. Weather has been quite mild today. Pleased the rain eased off this evening for the walk up to Consett. A group of teenage girls with a sound system made quite a racket in the bus station. Lots of older people wanted to stay something but no-one did. Journey was okay until till idiots got on at the Metro Centre and started shouting their mouths off. There’s always the urge to say, “Shut the fuck up!” but you never know who might be carrying a knife. Me and Jenni watched ‘My Old School’ about a guy who fraudulently poses as a 16-yr-old pupil so he can resit exams and go to medical school. It was brilliant. Now it’s New Tricks: an episode about computer hackers; there’s a new team member – Jack Halford has left. 11.38pm.


Saturday 31st December 2022

Morning Pages were a bit of a pain. Toasted teacake for breakfast and some mint chocolates. Me and Jenni went out to Gateshead this afternoon for a few supplies. Got rained on. Now at Jen’s mam’s flat. Had a curry and watched hit music videos of the nineties on telly. Seeing in New Year with a Sam Ryder gig on BBC1. Canny year with a few highs and lows. OK. 11.23pm.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment