Pages

Friday 3 March 2023

FEBRUARY BRINGS ANOTHER PUBLICATION

Wednesday 1st February 2023

After making a new blank morning pages book, I checked out some workshop possibilities, uploaded a lot of Poetry Jam stuff to the hard drive from the camcorder. And did some promo pix for a book post. I’ve been keying in material most of the evening whilst listening to Glen Matlock doing acoustic versions of Pistols songs and other classics. Also, Black Star Riders and the Michael Monroe band. I got the batteries charging for the next Poetry Jam gig. Only went outside for fruit squash and biscuits. It hasn’t been very cold the last few days. I’m hoping to start a new project next week. But not being in a hurry has been good today. I still have some books to make up. But, I’m here all week, as they say. 11.32pm.


Thursday 2nd February 2023

Thoroughly enjoyable night at Poetry Jam. All the guests were ace. The open floor was full of varied styles and subjects. Aiden Clarke, Jeff Price, Clare Lavery, Malcolm Barnes, Chris Short, Ken Creen, Chris Hodgson and Rosemary Sladden. Fantastic to see Peter Mortimer in the audience. Christine Fowler performed well. Her poem about names she won’t be called was ace. Joey Avary’s set was ace. By coincidence, he’d just been on BBC and ITV news talking about his career change from TV weatherman to Metro public relations. I’m pleased he did his Metro poem. I bought another of his books, REVERSE INTO SPACE, and he gifted me a copy of his novella The Dog Sitter. Pauline Plummer read well from her latest collection Life Pours Ordinary Plenty. Top night. Good to start this year’s run so strong. 11.49pm.


Friday 3rd February 2023

Sewed up more books this morning and glued covers on. Posted out another copy of “A Warm Space”. The March issue of Writing Magazine arrived. Jenni got me the February issue for my birthday, but I didn’t know she’d taken out a subscription for me. She is very good. I had a bit of hassle with my password for the college site and had to log my hours by close of business to ensure my payment goes through for next month. But I got sorted eventually. I posted the Poetry Jam pix this evening. I’d like to take things easy for a couple of days but will need to up the ante next week.11.00pm.


Saturday 4th February 2023

Ace night at Alphabetti Theatre. Allison Davies play ‘Tiny Fragments of Beautiful Light’ about neurodivergence and living with autism, was superb. I hope Jenni gets a chance to see it before the end of the run. The Nicola Mantalios “Meeting Mary” show was amazing. Like an epic Moth story that starts out funny but has some really heartbreaking moments. About coming to terms with being brought up in a cult and excommunicated from it by family and friends. It was 80 mins plus Q&A. Best night in the theatre for years. Big thanks to Jenni for putting me on to this. 11.35pm (Newcastle Central Station bus stand).


Sunday 5th February 2023

I made up some more books today, reread ‘This Poem Here’ by Rob Walton and Total Rhubarb by Joey Avary. Checked out some literature events for the coming months at Gateshead Library and ate too much chocolate. 10.16pm.


Monday 6th February 2023

Feel I'm slipping a bit. Gaps where activity should happen. I get to ten pm and my head is splitting. I'm ready to turn in. With only half the employment requirements met. I will try to sleep right through tonight. Today I sewed up the last of the booklets. Got a great review from Ann Porro and had an online conversation about fear and the writing process. I ate a chicken Balti and some sweet mince pies. Listened to the new Michael Monroe album and made a mini zine of student poems. Haven't read much today, though, and not drank enough. It doesn't seem too cold but my toes aren't great. It was good to hear from Jenni. I'm pleased she was able to go to her drumming session. I didn't get over the doorstep. I'm itching to start making a new pamphlet. Maybe a little hasty. But not to worry. Things come and go. 10.47pm.


Tuesday 9th February 2023

Morning Pages. Bag pack for workshop. Read Joey Avary on the bus to Durham. Lots of photocopying at Waddy. We did Absurd Words, made up mini zines, looked at ‘Slippers’ poetry analysis, Charles Simic and Ally May poems. Thomaz Salamun identity exercise. Parody poems and plagiarism. Thanks to Jenni for laughs this evening. 11.17pm.


Wednesday 8th February 2023

Big lie in. I went up to Gateshead Library after breakfast. Gave Mark Speeding a copy of  "A Warm Space". Chatted about music, books, the library and personal creativity. I had soup at Jen’s place then went into Gateshead to look for boots. And then on into Newcastle. Didn't find anything second-hand. Bumped into a friend who told me to try British Heart Foundation. It had some good women's boots but none for men. I went to Scorpio. They stock lots of lovely Docs but all beyond my budget. I was tempted to try on a pair of Grinders but knew I wouldn't pay shop prices for them so didn't bother. Got some frozen chips and cinnamon yoghurts on my way back through Gateshead. Me and Jen watched some soaps. I was due to go home but the wind was a bit strong, so I stayed another night. I aim to be away sharp in the morning. Okay. 11.07pm.


Thursday 9th February 2023

Early rise and a chat with Jenni before catching the 9.25am to Consett. I tried on a few pairs of shoes in Boyes, and although nothing suitable, I was pleased to be reminded that I take a size nine not ten as my brain has been trying to convince me all week. I trimmed the last of the recent books this afternoon, but due to running late after some college admin, it got too dark to ink covers so I'll leave them for a brighter day. I pulled a workshop together for Bullion Hall. Unfortunately, a couple of group members can't make it, but one of them ordered two books. I aim to get back to editing more material next week. I checked out the Joy Division & New Order Mojo mag in Tesco. Pop Classics have released one similar. (I wouldn't consider JD pop but maybe NO). Tonight, I listened to Michael Monroe and researched some flash fiction outlets online. 11.12pm.


Friday 10th February 2023

Good session at Bullion Hall this afternoon. Did a couple of exercises from “A Warm Space” and showed the group how to make mini zines. Didn't get home till after half six (after leaving here at quarter past eleven this morning – buses!). Didn't get my fish fingers and chips till quarter to eight. I made a list of e-zines open to poetry submissions. But might just try to put a small pamphlet of poems together instead. Need to maintain momentum. Trying not to get distracted by social media. 11.40pm.


Saturday 11th February 2023

Bit of a lie in. Made up a new morning pages notebook, then inked up the last of the “A Warm Space” books. This afternoon I walked to Consett and got some soup. And a Valentines card for Jenni. Caught the X71 and keyed in a little poem scribbled at the bus station. We are watching the Brit Awards and I’ve heard of about 5% of the acts involved. Must be getting old. I’ve been asleep quite a bit. Jenni has bought an electronic drum kit. OK. 10.30pm.


Sunday 12th February 2023

Me and Jenni were up early and out to Gateshead for supplies. Some bloke was very abrupt with a young cashier in the Heron Shop. I felt like saying something, but you never know what trauma the bloke is carrying. But I gave the cashier a look as if to say, What the fuck was your last customer’s problem? Jenni made an ace veg and chicken/sausage dinner. We watched the Iggy and the Stooges documentary Gimme Danger this afternoon. Enjoyable but not as comprehensive as expected. I think the drumming documentary “Count Me In” was better. Samantha Maloney, Roger Taylor, Cindy Blackman Santana, Nicko McBrain, Emily Dolan Davies, Taylor Hawkins, Jess Bowen and Stephen Perkins, amongst others. Top stuff. Bus home was okay. Cheese and pickled onion toastie for supper. 11.41pm.


Monday 13th February 2023

Made up writing half marathon books and sorted the prompts for tomorrow. I’ve been looking at ezines. I don’t think I’ve got the patience to go down that route - but still acknowledge that mag appearances are credentials for securing official book publication. Had a muddy ride on the old Rockhopper by the river this afternoon. Keyed in four lesson plans. 10.44pm.


Tuesday 14th February 2023

Woke up early but stayed in bed awhile. Surprised to see frost on car roofs when I looked out. Had breakfast and a shave. Walked to Consett. Checked in at the bank. On the bus to Durham I read a Writing Magazine article about editors and agents. The Waddy writers did eight rounds of writing in the half marathon this afternoon. I tried to read a bit on the bus to Gateshead afterwards. But kept nodding off. Got some hot chocolate and toast at Jen’s. She came in after me. We watched Pointless then had pizza and chips. Watched some Tim Minchin footage. Love his serious stuff but Storm and Prejudice are both ace. Jen discovered a spoof act called Pound Shop Boys who cover the theme tunes from Jamie and the Magic Torch and Coronation Street. We started watching Everything Everywhere All at Once but I kept falling asleep, so we switched to Breaking Dad. I need more hot chocolate and maybe some peanut butter on toast. OK. 10.54pm.


Wednesday 15th February 2023

Me and Jen were up till half two this morning watching music videos. Great ‘Queen: Under Review 1973-1980’ documentary covering my favourite period of the band. Then it was a load of short YouTube clips of pop songs. I slept well afterwards and didn’t get up till about eleven, skipped breakfast and went straight for the red pepper and lentil soup with cheddar and pickled onion toastie. This afternoon I was quite content just to watch old soap operas and game shows. Then after tea back to the cobbles for ninety minutes. I walked into Newcastle for the 9.40pm bus. When I got to Consett I popped into Tesco for a few supplies then walked home. Sausage sandwich for supper. 11.50pm.


Thursday 16th February 2023

Being at the big computer all day didn’t feel great. Headache half the day. I got the Poetry Jam poster and event page sorted. Sent off my voter ID certificate application. I’ve felt pretty worn out since late afternoon. And hardly done anything. I wanted to start in on the next pamphlet but that’s also going to be tomorrow. Tonight, I just listened to The Damned, the Pistols and The Stooges. Think I’ll go to bed early in hopes that tomorrow is okay. 10.07pm.


Friday 17th February 2023

I didn’t get much typing done but think I know what the next monograph / pamphlet will be about and hopefully I’ll get cracking on that next week, this afternoon I went to Waddy. Got the Poetry Jam posters up then got a lift with some of the Waddy staff to The Red Lion for an Xmas in February meal. Fifteen of us were there. I got mince and dumplings. Had a chat and listened to others for a couple of hours then got a ride back to Durham and the X15 to Moorside. OK. 10.45pm.


Saturday 18th February 2023

Had a great afternoon at The County Hotel in Hexham for Words on the Wall hosted by Joe Williams and featuring Dominic Berry, Gill Connors and Bob Beagrie. A great set of guests. It was a long gig, nearly four hours. Good poets in the open floor sections as well. A lot of them had travelled up from Yorkshire. I did Terrible Business and read three shorts from “A Warm Space”. Bus to Newcastle took a while. One of the bus stops in Prudhoe was outside a pub/restaurant called Doctor Syntax. Me and Jenni watched standard Saturday night TV but I was asleep for a lot of it. Still feeling very tired. 10.47pm.


Sunday 19th February 2023

Lazy day. Me and Jenni chatted for a while then had soup and a sandwich. Saw a bit of Sunday brunch then went into town for some supplies. We watched the Bafta’s tonight. Pleased to see The Banshees of Inisherin do so well. Particularly the two supporting actors Kerry Condon and Barry Keoghan. It’s really windy and I hope the house is okay. I’ve got a week of editing ahead of me. 11.37pm.


Monday 20th February 2023

Ideas for a mini memoir don’t seem to have gelled very well. You spend whole days just keying in stuff coz it’s easier to edit typescript than handwritten. I never know where the next good stuff is going to come from. If I did, I’d be able to steer my way through the mess more easily. I am sometimes at odds with the material that does well; a lot of my poems published in magazines were ones I least liked and just stuck in the envelopes to make up the numbers. And to this day I haven’t a fucking clue how to write a ‘performance’ poem. Some streams of consciousness, some rants, work in a live setting or they don’t. I might chop and change words for months, but the first draft is usually a chunk of text that arrived in its own time and space. Most of today's stuff is too convoluted. I prefer punchy shorter things. I enjoy the physical act of writing. I like doing the hometown slogs and marathons. I got some good pieces last week, but I'm a bit frustrated coz other stuff isn't coming together. I keep saying I'm going send work out and I never do. The whole process of proper poetry is too slow. Sonnets, sestinas, villanelles – poetry by numbers doesn’t work for me. 11.52pm.


Tuesday 21st February 2023

Stuff typed yesterday looked better this morning and I was able to edit it. A couple of good dialogues came into shape. I’ve been listening to New Order and Joy Division. Also, Peter Hook and the Light. Hooky does live sets of entire albums from his two former bands; I’ve never been a massive fan of either, but the way his current band deliver the Joy Division material is ace. I like guitar-based New Order songs, but a lot of the electro-dance stuff isn’t my thing at all. 10.35pm.


Wednesday 22nd February 2023

Good day listening to The Cure and Siouxsie and the Banshees whilst keying in more material. Really chuffed with the seven poems I got from last week’s writing half marathon. I printed them out. Still a couple of glitches to iron out but felt good to be on form and seeing the chunks of scribble become ordered lines and stanzas onscreen. I had a nice chicken balti with rice and naan bread for tea. Jenni sent me a mint little Danny MacAskill trials vid – a short clip of him in a gymnasium, hopping his bike about on moving platforms and bars. His precision back wheel placement is amazing. I really enjoyed my day. I’d like to put out a new pamphlet but feel I should submit stuff to mags and road-test at open mic. I still want to push forward with a little zine-style journal book though. Pleased the weather has been milder for typing sessions. 10.58pm.


Thursday 23rd February 2023

Slow day. I keyed in more material but feel less is best. I still don’t think I’ll get the text edited properly for next week but I’ll give it a shot. Today though, I felt that I needed to look at other stuff. Read some zine material and mulled over ideas on a walk out. Tonight, I just copied up some notes and read a bit of short fiction. I checked out some songs by Cassyette who I could go and see at the Riverside next month. But I’m a bit tight financially. Pleased to discover I have a spare toner cartridge for the laser printer so I don’t have order any for a while. I’ll be printing out proofs in the next day or two. I want to get as much done as possible before next week. 10.35pm


Friday 24th February 2023

Today has been pretty good. I spent most of it editing some pages in hopes of coming up with a pamphlet. Word isn't the best package to format pages smaller than A5. Not for prose anyway. I can't print the booklet at Waddy from a digital file if I want to keep the typewriter font. Unless I scan the originals printouts at home and drop into a fresh document; I'd rather paste up by hand. I've enjoyed messing around with images and may have borrowed one of Jen's comments for a title. I didn't stick to set mealtimes. I've eaten lots of little chocolate brownies. Had a double cheeseburger. A mid-evening bowl of red pepper soup. It's getting close to midnight. I've mocked up a pamphlet and will proofread it tomorrow. 11.45pm.


Saturday 25th February 2023

Only about four hours sleep. I was up till half two looking at the mock up pamphlet made last night. I took the title “This Isn’t A Story About An Octopus” from Jenni 's morning quip a couple of weeks ago about my 'literary' output. I Googled stories about the octopus and there are lots of them. So it's not like I'm taking someone's brand new idea. Jenni will probably find it funny. ... In the same way that “All the Bananas I've Never Eaten” by Tony Williams doesn't have bananas on the cover, my new pamphlet won't have an octopus. I'm going to have to be very careful today. There are still lots of things I want to edit on the text. It's going to take a long time to iron out the mistakes. And I'm sure to miss some embarrassingly obvious ones. I'm doing these quick-fire pamphlets in the spirit of the perzine – self-published confession and celebration. I want this one to be a low-cost no-frills thing. Well, except for the black endpapers. I reckon three quid and free postage is about right.

Initially, I wanted to do a high gloss colour photo cover, but I like the work boots graphic too. I'm aiming to make a graphic from a pic of my own boots so I don't get into any copyright issues or have to buy permission to use the work in progress image. If it was a tenner or less, I'd be happy to shell out on Monday if I haven't sorted my own graphic. The contents include rants about the cost of living. It would be wrong to make the pamphlet a lavish item. I just want to get it out as cheaply and quickly as I can.

I've spent a week typing and editing. It's 80gsm with black endpapers. And a soft pink cover. I still have one half page gap to fill with a short entry. And I need to put line breaks on every left page of prose so it locks as a block that can be repositioned without losing formatting. It'll probably take a couple of hours but will be worth it. I can't print Bohemian Typewriter from a word file at Waddy. I want to do it all at home anyway. I want to be able to post copies out from the box at the end of my street. Hopefully no more than a first- or second-class letter stamp. I'm probably not going to use any packaging besides the cheap envelope. Fingers crossed it works okay. I'd love to have it good to go by Monday morning. I'm doing a simple all pages together booklet fold them adding the cover. It's going to be stapled. I'll make about half a dozen that are sewn and have a sturdier cover for archive and legal deposit. 10.03am.


Sunday 26th February 2023

I don’t like using graphics from the internet. I tried photographing my boots for the new pamphlet cover but couldn’t get a result as good as the drawing borrowed as a work in progress image, so I paid to use the latter. It was going to be eight quid initially, but I chanced upon a 20% discount code and paid £6.72. It’s the only new financial outlay for the whole project as everything else is sitting stock, so no worries.

The proofing took ages. I listed over twenty A5 notebook pages of corrections. Tweaking text in Bohemian Typewriter is a pain coz onscreen the dots between words look like full stops. I kept having to convert fragments of text into another typeface to make corrections. But have to keep the overall layout in BT to check the positioning of dialogue and where single words look odd stuck out on the ends of lines. The word ‘I’ looks particularly bad placed at the right unjustified margin after a full stop. I try to move them to the beginning of the next line if it’s not going to disrupt what follows.

I will have to make up another test copy of the booklet folding each sheet of paper individually to get the optimum page margins. Once they are set I will revert to folding all eight sheets in one go. At present the left side texts are within a millimetre of the trimmed pages. I might still have to individually print and paste up blocks of text, which will be a pain. But that’s what you get for using a standard word document.

Ideally, I’d like the project complete by tonight, then I can put an update on the Talking Pen site and debut the pamphlet at Ways with Words on Tuesday afternoon at Waddy.

Then I can begin work on the next one, which may be verse fragments, mini memoir, or dreams. I think I’ll keep a dream journal throughout March and April and maybe put it out in June. And I want to do a few months of selected morning pages as well.

My head is full of proofing and page layout at present so there’s nothing but ‘meta booking’ in my notes today. And probably for the rest of the month. But hopefully I’ll get some distance midweek and can focus on things worth sharing in a printed publication. I still have a few of the poems to tweak this morning and the last six pages of prose to get right. Then the laborious task of making it all sit neatly on paper. Final printing and assembly shouldn’t take more than a few hours. Five minutes to fold, staple and trim each standard booklet. Seventeen minutes for each of the sewn and glued copies – but I’m only making about five of those. 9.03am.


Monday 27th February 2023

The laser printer is always temperamental in cold weather. Steam rising off the machine and lots of paper jams. But hey-ho I’m getting there. Still some copies of This Isn’t A Story About An Octopus” to assemble. I haven’t been out on the bike at all lately. I only unlocked my front door today to get some natural light for some book cover photos. I’m looking forward to going back to Waddy for a change of pace. I haven’t planned anything elaborate for tomorrow’s Ways with Words. Maybe self-editing, dialogue, fictional conflict and new compound word definitions. I’m really tired now. Hope I sleep okay tonight. 11.45pm.


Tuesday 28th February 2023

Pleased I was awake early enough to fix a typo on the pamphlet. The laser printer works better during the day than at night. I’ve been pretty full-on for the last seven or eight days except for the afternoon I went out for food supplies. Thursday, I think. I kept the workshop handouts to a minimum today. We recapped writing from the final session before half term. And got into a lengthy discussion about censorship in art, and celebrities falling from grace. I’ve been trying to get a bit of sleep this afternoon between appointments but it didn’t happen. I have a photo opportunity in Sunderland. Andy Martin is at Pop Recs Ltd this evening and has offered to do some shots for King Ink writers and others. I’ve just shaved my ears in case there’s a close-up. 5.45pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment