Pages

Wednesday 13 September 2023

AUGUST GONE WRONG

Tuesday 1st August 2023

Started operation declutter. Or as I call it, Late spring clean in August. I only got a couple of bin bags of paper scraps out the door. Then, thinking it might rain later, decided to go out on the bike. I rode up to Parkhead Station, then spent two-hours exploring a quarry I can’t believe I’ve never been in before. Found loads of great lines to ride on my Sonder bike. I just don’t fancy riding it for an hour on tarmac and gravel to reach the desired location. Need to get a bit fitter. This evening I fell asleep on the couch after veggie chilli and rice. I’ve started evening pages, but don’t like them as much as morning pages. 10.20pm.


Wednesday 2nd August 2023

Did some back stretches and cleared a lot of junk out of the front room. Found some books that need assembling. Found a lot of college papers. Got some lint off the carpet. Messaged Lorraine about ‘Monika the tea things are taking over’ by Roger McGough. Had a good pie and veg tea. I’ve pretty much written up everything twice already coz I’m doing morning pages and evening pages. I’ve got Sinead live in Chile on YouTube from 1990. She’s totally animated and ace. My big old left toe has been a hassle again. 11.25pm.


Thursday 3rd August 2023

Checked out financial projections for Autumn. Had a tuna sandwich then slept most of the way to Waddington Street Centre where I dropped bags off before going into town for bank transactions. I popped into The Works. Imagine being an international rockstar who sells out stadiums, walking into a book shop, and seeing your £25 hardback autobiography reduced to three quid within a year of publication. Doesn’t give much hope to us little people, does it? Poetry Jam was fantastic. One of the biggest turnouts in ages. So many good poems on open floor. Brilliant sets from Mayira Thomas, Lewis Brown and Ann Porro. I sold a couple of pamphlets. Hot journey back to Moorside. Home by eleven. 11.49pm.


Friday 4th August 2023

Full-on admin day. Good to get lovely warm feedback for Poetry Jam. Wrote loads of notes for Arts Centre Washington. I don’t know how people get funding. I don’t tick the right boxes. No-one will employ me in a conventional job. I switched off the desktop at ten tonight. I still have college paperwork to do. I hate all the formal stuff. But I don’t get paid much for the other. I think the bike will be a bit underused this year. Not happy about that. 11.06pm.


Saturday 5th August 2023

Didn’t sleep well. Only about five hours. Bought a load of fruit and veg in Consett then came home. Played The Beggar by Swans. Decided I’m not going to see play them this month. The next time I’m going outside hopefully will be on a dry Monday when I can ride my Sonder. I’m still tired, just want to go to bed. I’ve got lots of typing to do which I truly hate doing. 9.40pm.


Sunday 6th August 2023

Most of the day spent doing type-ups at the desktop computer. Listened to three Nirvana albums back-to-back. Put some air in my front Sonder tyre and aim to be out tomorrow. Jenni messaged to say Louise Young was brilliant at The Pleasance Theatre. Louise is a great comedian. I’ve had chicken dinner and two tuna sandwiches. Need more exercise or I’ll be putting on weight. 10.42pm.


Monday 7th August 2023

Packed up and got out on the Sonder bike to Parkhead. Rode on easy gearing coz the backpack was heavy. Stayed up there on the rocks and in the quarry for about four hours. Got some nice little three-rock mounts and roll-through manoeuvres done. Ride home was swift. And still with two high gears to spare. Talked to cousin Terry out walking his dog. Made a big chicken dinner. Responded to Tony Gadd’s feedback for Soon Will Come Thunder. I watched the Filth and the Fury. Too tired to work. My foot held up well today. Weather too. Although very windy at Parkhead. My bash guard hanger has slipped so I need to visit Bits4Bikes asap. I still have loads of work to do. My August is going wrong. 11.25pm.


Tuesday 8th August 2023

Think I got up too soon. I took the Sonder to Bits4bikes to get my bash guard adjusted coz I don’t like messing with screw threads on the frame. I watched coverage of Sinead O’Connor’s funeral procession on YouTube. Afterwards I found it hard to concentrate on work. Slept for a couple of hours this evening then put some poems and stories together for Thursday’s King Ink set. Still overrunning my allotted twenty-minute slot so I’ll ditch the ‘So Much for the Sunshine’ revisits and just stick to 2023 material. There’s a lot to choose from. Had a tuna and red pepper sandwich for supper. Hope there’s no rain tomorrow coz I have grass to cut. 11.42pm.


Wednesday 9th August 2023

Outside for a couple of hours to cut the grass. What a bastard. So long after the rain. Lots of nettles by the fence. Thought I deserved a decent tea, so I bought a mince pie, steamed some carrots and potatoes, did mushrooms and peas, and nice veggie gravy. Struggled to come up with a workshop tonight. Think I’m going to use some of my favourite NaPoWriMo poems on Friday. Got my set sorted for King Ink and some books to take with me. Every Sinead O’Connor clip I see makes me sad. I wrote some bits for a letter but got tired. 11.00pm.


Thursday 10th August 2023

I went to pick up the bike, but it’s not right. Bending down to show the mechanic the problem, I knacked my big toe again. Could hardly put weight on left foot. I got to Sunderland late coz the buses just do what they want. King Ink was great. Loads of people there. Lots of top-notch open mic. I was a bit shaky coz I could hardly see my poems. In future I’m blowing them up massive and not using the book pages. Must need glasses changed. Jenni was ace. She should have closed the night. Missed the 78-bus to Consett so I got the Metro to Newcastle and caught the 10.35pm bus back. 11.15pm.


Friday 11th August 2023

Managed to do all my photocopying for a Bullion Hall session and got out for eleven. The bus was late. I had 20 minutes to collect books from Consett library for the ‘first lines/last lines’ exercise. The bus to Chester le Street was packed out with kids and their mothers. The temperature was higher than in recent weeks and I only did a bit of prep before I fell asleep. I got to Bullion Hall about quarter past one, set up, answered some messages, started at two. We worked from lists, did automatic writing, first and last lines of novels – big discussion. Some people got videoed reading poems for Bullion Hall website. Bus home had some of the same people I saw on the way there. I had chilli and rice for tea, then packed up to come to Jenni’s place. She’s at the pub. I’m falling asleep. 11.01pm.


Saturday 12th August 2023

Watched a bit of the UCI World Trials Championships on iPlayer then got ready to go to Rowan and Rose’s wedding reception at Summerhill Bowling Club. Lovely venue and lovely day for a lovely couple. Me and Jenni tried to play badminton and failed miserably. Lots of eating and dancing took place. We left around eleven and got back to Bensham just before midnight. 11.58pm.


Sunday 13th August 2023

Slept much of today. Peanut butter on toast for breakfast. Re-runs of soap operas. Ate beans on toast and spicy bean burger. Jenni is scrolling social media in bed. I’ll be there soon enough. 10.40pm.


Monday 14th August 2023

Had a meeting with Harry Gallagher this morning. He gave me the artwork for his pamphlet cover, and a lift to Newcastle. I bought a meal deal: triple chicken sandwich, Mars bar and mixed berry smoothie. I chatted with Lou Driver for a while in Tesco. She says Asa enjoyed doing the C2C bike ride and is doing coast and castles next. I looked at books and t-shirts in HMV but not many records. Jenni gets her music from the internet these days. I went to Travelling Man and WHSmith. I looked through all the stuff in Damaged Society closing down sale but nothing suitable for a birthday present. In Waterstones I got Jenni a copy of Richard E Grant’s memoir A Pocketful of Happiness. I was tempted (for myself) by Cathi Unsworth’s Season of the Witch about goth culture and the political climate of 80s Britain. But I’ve got so much to read. I bought some scotch eggs half price and a packet of wagon wheels. I walked back to Bensham in the rain. My coat was soaked. I decided just to stay at Jen’s. She isn’t home tonight though. Weather is forecast to be better in the morning. 10.55pm.


Tuesday 15th August 2023

Struggled to concentrate on much. I saw some videos about the ‘Freddie Mercury: A World of his Own’ collection at Sotheby’s that Mary Austin is selling. I checked out The Cult from 1985. I watched Rollins spoken word from Rebellion Festival – better than his Good To See You show in Whitley Bay earlier this year. I listened to South of Salem, and keyed in more of my pages but I’m still quite a bit behind. I bought chicken in Consett. I had a nice tea this evening but not before a soaking coming back from the shop just around the corner. I ordered another present for Jenni. She messaged from Edinburgh. I was at the computer a long time but not a lot of writing came. I am way behind. Earning little. Oh well. 11.30pm.


Wednesday 16th August 2023

I cleared the windowsill this morning. Keyed in pamphlet notes for a couple of hours. Had another chicken dinner. Went out on the Sonder bike tonight. It was okay coz I didn’t have any expectations. Just wanted a trundle on some gravel and trails. The tyres are useless when wet. Trying uphill over tree roots was highly frustrating. The bottom bracket is grunting a bit. Found out me and Jenni are on the bill with Donald Jenkins for Morecambe Poetry Festival next month. September is going to be busy. Think I’ll be off to bed early. 10.02pm.


Thursday 17th August 2023

Only just got round to watching the UCI Elite World Biketrial Championship on BBC iPlayer this evening. The women were brilliant and the men’s 20-inch just out of this world. Bike hopping those huge gaps on wet wood in torrential rain was just some of the most outstanding footage I’ve ever seen. The 26-inch elite trial was ace. I already knew from last week that Jack Carthy won but I wanted to see how he did it. I’ve never seen him put a foot wrong until tonight. Oliver Widmann from Germany nearly had it. But Jack cleaned an almost impossible obstacle only as wide as his tyres and managed to get out on a big wooden reel without putting a foot down. Jaw dropping stuff. A great way to spend a Thursday evening. 11.53pm.


Friday 18th August 2023

Spent most of this morning putting my set together for a Poetry in the Park gig taking place tomorrow. Two hours to get to Jen’s place this afternoon. A driver walking by the bus in the station jokingly said, “Your wing mirror’s knackered,” and tapped it. And then it was. We all got off the bus and onto another which didn’t seem to want to move, so I got off and waited an extra five minutes for the express bus to Gateshead. Jenni was tidying up when I arrived. We had bean burgers for tea. Then out to Arts Centre Washington for Alan Plater’s play, Going Home, about being disillusioned with the march of progress. Funny, well-acted, a great night out. 11.20pm.


Saturday 19th August 2023

Woke quite early. Gave Jenni her presents. She opened them in a good order. She likes her books. This afternoon we went to Fenham for Poetry in the Park. Surprised to see Leon the Pig Farmer there. Lots of good performers. Unfortunately, we had to leave before Cooper Robson’s set to get back to Newcastle for a meet up. Jen’s mam and John bought us tea then we saw an excellent Abba Tribute band at the Cathedral. Had a drink in Station East afterwards. 11.18pm.


Sunday 20th August 2023

Intended to sleep in a while but up by nine. Me and Jenni watched the Women’s World Cup Football then went into town for supplies. Got a pair of trousers and a fleece for six quid in a charity shop. Had a little cheese and tomato pizza with chips for tea. Watched a film called Chapter 27 about the bloke who murdered John Lennon. Then the Power of Parker comedy series on iPlayer. Staying over at Jen’s another night. 11.35pm.


Monday 21st August 2023

I am way behind on my work. Can’t see how I’m going to pull a pamphlet together this month, but I say that every month. I might be able to turn something around. I only got a couple of pieces keyed in today. Me and Jenni chatted till eleven then I got the bus to Consett. Checked out some bands online: Crowley, Bastette, MoodiBrooke, Shadow Smile and These Wicked Rivers. Some of them are playing in the North East this autumn. I watched a fair bit of Glen Matlock live footage. Some Pistols stuff as well. I’ve had a big mince and veg dinner with Yorkshire puddings. And some fruit. I’m okay. 11.45pm.


Tuesday 22nd August 2023

Took the Sonder up to Bits4Bikes for bash guard adjustment. Who should I see walking in Consett but mam and Ernie on a trip out from Newton Aycliffe. Ernie gave me a lift back to mine. He says the clicks and pops in toes are just how it goes in your fifties. Today I keyed in lots of morning pages in hopes of pulling another booklet together before the end of the month. I’m not in a good place really. More bills. Less opportunities. Bigger backlog of admin. I’m a bit sick of it all at present to be honest. Still trying to cling on, hoping things will turn out okay before the end of the year. I will be back at the desk tomorrow morning. But enough for now, I’m done. 10.56pm.


Wednesday 23rd August 2023

Got all my morning pages into the August file and have more words for the next pamphlet than any of the previous titles this year. I got the grass cut in an hour this afternoon. I sent a letter to Stephen Clark in response to his account of the Swans gig at Boiler Shop last week. I did some preliminary printouts for Harry Gallagher’s pamphlet. I listened to a load of tracks by Bastette. The singer Caroline has an amazing voice and the band fairly rocks out. One commentator said think Joan Jett meets Pat Benatar. I also listened to more South of Salem and watched a couple of Chris Akrigg ‘How to Trail’ bike videos on YouTube. I took an hour out due to dehydration / stress headache. Tomorrow, fingers crossed I’ll be picking up the Sonder bike and going for a little ride down by the river. OK. 11.25pm.


Thursday 24th August 2023

I got the bike back today. Bash guard repositioned, and no creaky-creaky from the drivetrain. I bought dinner things and a ream of A4 paper, but I forgot to buy black gaffa tape to shim out the skinny seat post for my trials mini seat that I intend to use sporadically when out trying new technical sections and want easy bail out clearance. I did some Poetry Jam admin and work for Harry’s library pamphlet. This evening I rode down by the river for a while. I’m find small rock ledges a lot easier to bounce the bike over than I used to. And the only reason I was unable to clean my favourite circuit was coz two bloody big trees had uprooted themselves and totally barred the trail. The rest of the route I didn’t put a foot wrong. It’s not trials, merely trundling on trails. But a great late August evening. 10.20pm.


Friday 25th August 2023

I’m up to date with typing my morning pages and have formatted pages for the next pamphlet, but all the text is still to edit. I’ll be working on it over the weekend. Today I listened to a female musician called the Anchoress. And a lot of songs by Slade, of all people. I knew more hits than I thought I did. I had red pepper and lentil soup for dinner, the only thing left. Then I got a pie at the shop. I bought some curries for me and Jenni. The bus to Newcastle took ages. Lots of noisy people onboard. Me and Jenni went to Gosforth Civic Theatre to see Kate Fox’s show ‘Bigger on the Inside’ about neurodiversity and Doctor Who. Lots of people there. Kate was great. 11.22pm.


Saturday 26th August 2023

Edited over half of my material for the next pamphlet – mainly just excerpts from morning pages. I’ve done some shopping. Had bacon sandwiches. Good to listen to The Pretty Reckless, Bastette and the new PIL album. Did some editing on the bus this morning. 11.52pm.


Sunday 27th August 2023

Tried out the trials mini seat and post combo in the Sonder bike this morning. I just used gaffa tape to shim out the narrow post to fit the frame. I had a little go in the garden but will try on a sunny day down by the river. All the new pamphlet pieces are in the computer. More edits required. Listened to PIL, Darkthrone, Bastette and Olivia Hyde. Had mince and veg dinner. Bit tired of everything. 11.37pm.


Monday 28th August 2023

Got a title for the pamphlet today: BIG OLD LEFT TOE. I’ve got the cover design. All pages to date are formatted. Margins need re-tweaking and I aim to get three more entries for it, including Thursday 31st August. I’ll do a lot more proofing before then in hopes of just dropping the last piece into place then printing the initial batch. I wanted to go out on my bike, but I think I’m going to be stuck indoors for most of the week. I enjoyed listening to the last year’s ‘Astral Fortress’ album from Darkthrone. It has some very atmospheric stuff on it and a lot better than some of the racket on Under a Funeral Moon from the nineties. The lyrics are a lot clearer on the more recent albums too. Favourite artist of the year so far is Bastette. Really great vocalist. Blend of rock, country, metal. Hope there’s a tour. 11.42pm.


Tuesday 29th August 2023

Waited under tree cover by the rocks this morning till rain stopped then tried to ride. As stated elsewhere, the bike tyres are lousy in the wet. But I managed a few back wheel hops off a small ledge. Rode across the bridge and up the slope and out onto the road… I started to proof BIG OLD LEFT TOE this afternoon and ditched a fair bit from the opening pages. Unfortunately, this upset all the work I did on the margins yesterday. If I didn’t have a cover design pretty much good to go, I think I’d bail on the project. Hope I can put it right tomorrow. I will have to stay off social media and my bikes to finish it this week. I wanted to show what a month in the life is really like but some of it won’t make the final edit. At one point today I really felt like jacking in writing altogether. Scary moment. 11.04pm.


Wednesday 30th August 2023

Spent the whole day on the new booklet. It’s going to be about fifty pages. It really should be good to go and printed by now, but I want to include tomorrow’s morning pages. It isn’t quite warts and all but I’m quite candid. There’s no glory in it. I’ve failed on just about every non-writing task I’ve set myself this summer. Been jumping through too many hoops year after year and unless I get a smooth patch towards the year’s end, I’m not sure I’ll be able to remain freelance in 2024. As I write this, I think: Oh, best not shoot yourself in the foot, Steve. BIG OLD LEFT TOE lets you know quite directly how I feel about what I do and why I’m often in a bad mood. I aim to get covers printed tomorrow and a few copies assembled. I’ll work a bit longer tonight then early start tomorrow. 9.02pm.


Thursday 31st August 2023


This morning was mega stressful. It took me nearly four hours to go from blank pages to morning pages to keying words into a mobile device to unscrambling the mess on the desktop to rejigging page margins and getting ready to go to Waddy to print covers for BIG OLD LEFT TOE. I think it looks ace. I like the big purple and yellow toenail. I enhanced the image to make it look even more yukky. I’m chuffed with the mix of reportage, introspection, humour and straight narrative. I deserved my chicken and chips tea. Roll on, September. Hopefully easier. 11.36pm.

BIG OLD LEFT TOE is available HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment