Pages

Saturday 5 March 2022

FEBRUARY

Tuesday 1st February 2022

Made up a blank morning pages booklet and got some impressions down. New razor gave a good shave. I was sorted and out the house by twenty to eleven. Durham bus wasn’t bad except for the seemingly coked-up idiot at the front. Really good picture writing half marathon with Waddington Street Writers. Did about nine rounds of vignettes and poems from paintings. I was tempted to buy the MoJo ‘Sex Pistols’ book from Tesco today. £8.99. It’s got loads of great photos in it. I had tomato soup for tea. Then watched the rest of the Nilsen Files, which focused more on the victims than the killer – good series. 11.03pm


Wednesday 2nd February 2022

Great to hear from Sheila at Red Squirrel Press this morning: ‘Laughter to Split Glass’ has sold out and is being reprinted. I will have more stock in due course. I’ve been at the computer most of the day, but typing has been slow work. I had to stop twice for sleep to stave off a migraine. TV news focused on energy bills. There is talk of government stepping in to subsidize companies and maybe a council tax rebate to ease the burden of rocketing fuel costs. I listened to The Jesus and Mary Chain, Queen and Behemoth. I’ve been editing a lot. I want to get some stuff out: books, magazine appearances, gig sets. Keen to get out on the bike again. 11.30pm.


Thursday 3rd February 2022

Keyed in the Bullion Hall work and sent an invoice. Tonight, I started pooling poems for my next book. Lots of stuff from NaPoWriMo 2018 and 2019. Some from last year too. Could be about eighty or ninety poems to choose from. I will be tweaking and finding ways to road-test them. Luckily, I posted very few of the 19 and 21 stuff to social media so I could submit to online journals and physical lit mags. Good to hear from Jane Sinclair and Tony Gadd today. I got out on the bike this afternoon. Canny trundle to Leadgate but very windy return. Pleased the days are getting longer. OK. 11.54pm.


Friday 4th February 2022

Mostly downstairs. Worklog and gratitude journal up to date. Listened to a couple of Robert Shearman stories on CD with mini author interviews afterwards. I went out to Consett this evening. Got my allowance from the ATM. Then off to Tesco. Bought the ‘Mojo’ Sex Pistols magazine. The layout and graphics are amazing. Far better than the Pistols file from late seventies/early eighties. Slept for a while before my salmon paste and cucumber sandwich supper. 11.50pm.


Saturday 5th February 2022

Another downstairs day. I read the rest of the Sex Pistols magazine. Quite a lot I wasn’t aware of. Good interviews. Stuff on Who Killed Bambi, key gigs, and conflicts. I slept quite a bit. Got some clothes washed, had a shave. Not as cold as expected. Just really tired. Spring can’t come soon enough. Think I’ll get an early night. OK. 10.14pm.


Sunday 6th February 2022

Copied up some morning pages for a journal book. Pie and veg dinner. This afternoon I prepped another workshop. Then watched the Pistols film The Filth and the Fury. Which is finally on YouTube. I have the DVD, but it won’t play on my machine. Tonight, I selected poems for some gigs. Then watched the Ken Loach film Sorry We Missed You. Powerful stuff. 11.52pm.


Monday 7th February 2022

Buzzing whilst sorting workshop stuff this morning. Had time to rehearse a poem as well. I might try to slam it. Can’t do it off book and had to trim some of it back to fit a three-minute slot. This afternoon I went out on the Rockhopper for an hour. Pleased to get about without sweating up or getting covered in clarts. Tonight, I put the news on iPlayer but just so fucking depressing. Politics is a tit-for-tat bully boys club, and the plebs bear the brunt of all the bullshit. I watched a Jeff Lenosky bike video. Listened to Nine Inch Nails. They are touring America this year. Tickets prices will be astronomical and subject to change due to demand. FFS! They won’t play the UK and wouldn’t come to Newcastle anyway. Gonna get a hot water bottle then sod off to bed. 11.10pm.


Tuesday 8th February 2022

Bother with public transport. Half an hour later into Durham than I’d have liked due to a no show this morning, but a canny workshop and introduced the group to the Haibun. I’ve eaten on the go: cheap steak bakes, apple pastries and diluted blackcurrant squash. Two diversions this afternoon due to a fire in Birtley. All the metros were full of football fans this evening. But I had a fantastic time at Under the Arches Spoken Word in Tynemouth. Lovely intimate venue, good mix of styles on open mic and three excellent feature sets – Renata Connors, James Tucker and Harry Gallagher. Thanks to Penny Blackburn, the staff of Alfie and Finn's and everyone there. Good to meet new poets, do a turn and actually see people's faces. I’ve been on more public transport than usual in one day for a while. Jenni couldn’t make the gig tonight. We are now watching Waterloo Road. It’s been a while. Enjoying it. 11.54pm.


Wednesday 9th February 2022

Great night at Born Lippy. First act, Victoria Morley, was last month’s slam winner and did some Victorian based poems including one about cats. This month’s four slammers were all pretty full on. Ben Dawson-Punshon was my favourite, but a new guy who got through was pretty raw and politically powerful. Jeff Price did a set of poems from new book ‘Infinite Threads’ with accompanying photographs; great stories about sharing rooms with siblings, and Jesus as goalkeeper. Raul Kohli’s comedy blew the roof off cultural stereotypes, threw out some curve balls, and went down very well indeed. Sophie Sparham gave us a complete mood shift with a set from her poetry collection ‘The Man Who Ate 50,000 Wheetabix’. She says ‘Ay Up’ quite a bit and writes vivid vignettes about life in Derbyshire. I don’t usually hang around for hip-hop, but Shakk had some good lines and got the audience joining in on the choruses. Don Jenkins was on top form as host and rap poet too. It was good to see Rowan, Sky, Marie, James, Julie and numerous others in attendance. On the way home I helped a young man free his foot from a metal fence. Me and Jenni are watching more Waterloo Road. 11.45pm.


Thursday 10th February 2022

Good lie-in after another epic Waterloo Road binge with Jenni until twenty past three this morning. I prepped a bit for the next Waddy lesson then had pizza and chips prepared by Jenni. I got a metro over to Sunderland for King Ink at Pop Recs Ltd. The new premises has a live music venue next to the cafĂ©. First part of the evening was like a meeting or workshop, then the open mic. Some great turns, and the space was ace, but I didn’t like flashing lights behind me – difficult to see my words. But I did okay. I’m sure I did more than five minutes, but I was last on. I got the metro back to Gateshead and was sitting with Jenni again by half nine. Good to have some quiet time then out for the last 47-bus back to Consett. Won’t get home till about quarter to one. 11.29pm.


Friday 11th February 2022

Got my online cyber security training done for the college. Did some admin and networking then biked over to the Post Office Depot at Leadgate to pick up my books from Red Squirrel Press. I tried watching more Waterloo Road but enjoy it better on the big screen at Jen’s place. I got invites to perform at three events. I tried to watch Newsnight but I’m sick of it all. Listened to stuff about online safety bill – otherwise known as anti-freedom of speech law. I ate a lot of kettle chips. I’m okay, a bit laid back tonight. 11.30pm.


Saturday 12th February 2022

Big lie in. Checked on war in Ukraine then out to Consett. Got a lot of cakes and bread and some Valentine’s stuff. Ate lots of cheese and bread and oranges and biscuits. Prepped my next workshop for Waddy and read a lot of shit on twitter. The bus to Bensham tonight was total luddite-sado-masochist transport. No Wi-Fi, no announcements, no heating. Got hot chocolate and biscuits with Jenni, watched some trash celeb telly. Sleepy now. 11.25pm.


Sunday 13th February 2022

Me and Jenni went to see Something That Rhymes with Purple, a live recording of the podcast made by Susie Dent and Gyles Brandreth at Northern Stage. We had second row tickets and the place was packed. Lots of funny anecdotes and etymology of words. A great present to us from Janet and Naj. Tonight, we watched War of the Worlds onstage. Pretty impressive but not arena price amazing. Steak pie, cheese on toast. Tom soup. Too many liquorice allsorts. Now a John Deacon documentary. OK. 10.57pm.


Monday 14th February 2022

Day off coz I worked on Saturday so nice to have a Happy Valentine’s Day with Jenni. I gave her a copy of Lisette Auton’s novel "The Secret of Haven Point" and some cakes and sweets. Jenni gave me a copy of Robert Shearman’s story collection ‘Remember Why You Fear Me’. We had a lazy time till about one then went out for supplies. We had big curries and naan bread for tea and watched a lot of TV soaps but couldn’t commit to any feature films coz we were too sleepy. Probably overdone it with cakes and biscuits. We’ve seen Breaking Dad and Corrie. New Tricks is on. I’ve had cheese on toast and fig rolls. Canny day. 10.48pm.


Tuesday 15th February 2022

A few scribbles before breakfast then a shave and bag pack for today’s workshop. Even with windows open the bus was still a furnace. Had to remove coat, cardigan and a t- shirt. I got my photocopies done and set up the session. Had a conversation about energy crisis and did some writing exercises. We looked at a villanelle. I don’t like traditional poetic form very much. I hung back afterwards to scroll twitter. The bus home was okay. I had lentil and bacon soup for tea, some apple pies and crisps. I watched a few music videos. Then the end of a documentary about the Krays, which I found totally horrible. Newsnight is on. Andrew settles out of court. Russians might pull troops back from the border. My feet are numb, and I should go to bed. I don’t have another workshop for about a fortnight. Quite low key for a while. 10.58pm.


Wednesday 16th February 2022

Trying to type but distracted. I read a story by Robert Shearman about a woman who gives birth to household furniture. The wind raging outside is doing my head in. And the tinnitus inside. I’ve listened to more Behemoth and Venom today. Tomorrow, I intend to stay away from the computer as much as possible. If the weather calms down a bit, I will go for supplies before the next fucking shitstorm starts. Been fighting another migraine. I will try to read an entire novel tomorrow. I need a better sleep today. I watched some Sophie Sparham poems online. I want to get out on a bike again. I want the shit winter to be over. This time last week I think me and Jenni were watching Waterloo Road. I’m pleased my WiFi was good today. OK. 11.17pm.


Thursday 17th February 2022

Great to have a full day away from the internet. Great to sit and read ‘The Secret of Haven Point’ by Lisette Auton. Some magical storytelling about the Wrecklings who live safe from the threat of outsiders. Great characters and lovely use of the northern voice. It took me some serious concentration and I had to reread bits but once the inciting incident kicked in and the dangers became apparent, I was carried along all afternoon. I went out for a couple of hours after tea to get food supplies coz there may be some weather disruption tomorrow, but I was back with the book by eight o’clock and finished by twenty past eleven. Mermaids, cats in beards, friendship, jealousy, betrayal, great descriptions of the coast and some wonderful lines. I’m so chuffed that Lissette got this novel out on Puffin/Penguin. Hope it sells loads. 11.35pm.


Friday 18th February 2022

I’ve never understood why any country wants to dominate another. I’ve never understood the need for expansion and dominance over anyone. It’s fucking pathetic and it stinks. I watched some documentaries on World War Two and the warmongers are basically fucking psychopaths. On the weather front we got off quite lightly today. Whereas down south part of the 02 Arena’s roof was blown off. People have been killed by falling trees and debris. The garden fence at the side of my house has been wavering in the wind. I tried to tie some of it up to a support post but there isn’t enough posts equally spaced along its entirety to support the weight of the slats. I wish Eunice would fuck off into the sea. My feet are freezing. I succumbed to chocolate spread in my porridge tonight. Had a Bovril drink as well. I wish winter was over. 11.34pm.


Saturday 19th February 2022

Nice to get outside after storm Eunice fucked off. I bought some supplies then did some typing. I’ve been checking out poetry magazines and poets. Listened to a Martin Stannard interview. And some Phil Bowen poems. Then a bit of Adrien Henri and Brian Patten. I’m still struggling to find mags I feel would be suitable for me to submit work to. I put my super thermal socks on tonight, but my right foot is still freezing. Oh well. 10.50pm.


Sunday 20th February 2022

I don’t mind a bit of snow coz it doesn’t make a noise or flood your home, but this bastard rain blowing under the front door is a pain. I put polythene and towels down. It should be okay. I read some vintage copies of The Wide Skirt magazine including poems by Ian McMillan, Gary Allen, Linda Chase, Martin Stannard, etc. I watched Queen with Adam Lambert ‘Live Around the World’ DVD. Great stuff. Early night for me now.10.38pm.


Monday 21st February 2022

Reread the two volumes of March 2020 morning pages. Don’t know how I managed to sustain coherent full-length entries for a month, but I did and it’s time to get those pages published. I am keen to be out of the house this week to get printing done and then do some bookmaking. The news is on. Russia is moving closer to Ukraine. I don’t know what that will mean for the rest of the world. I feel done with politics and news and just want to get back to my work. Hope that’s possible. 10.38pm.


Tuesday 22nd February 2022

Up at seven. Did pages and got some scrambled eggs on toast then packed up for the printing session at Waddy. Got copies of morning pages books one and two done then a good chat and mini pop quiz with Ali, Sam and Peter. Good to be out with no restrictions. I bused into Newcastle and went to Blackwells. Checked out card supplies. Some good colours. 25p each. Bought a Tippex pen, then caught a bus to Bensham where I saw Alix and Jenni. We walked into Gateshead for supplies. I made up a folder for the big pdf printout of Laura Jackets manuscript coz Jenni doesn’t like reading documents onscreen. We had cake and watched Dodger on iPlayer. I got a 47-bus to Consett. Checked out more stationery. Got supplies and 78-bus to Moorside. Cheese toasty for supper. 11.26pm.


Wednesday 23rd February 2022

Today has been really good. I folded the new morning pages books and put holes in for sewing. I had to reprint the title pages coz I wanted the wording more central. This afternoon I waited till about half three to take a decent photo for initial promo. The street is dark unless it’s very sunny, but a break in the clouds allowed for the image. After tea, I pasted up graphics of the contents list for each volume. I sent them to Jenni, and she liked them. I aim to get the books sewn up tomorrow and hopefully get some covers glued on. I'm chuffed with the initial response to the book project. Tonight, I avoided the doom and gloom of the news. Feel a lot better for it. Been listening to random punk stuff on Spotify. Need an early night coz I'm really worn out. But it feels good to be doing another perzine style book. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. OK. 10.31pm.


Thursday 24th February 2022

Jenni messaged with concerns about Russian invasion of Ukraine. I've been tired most of the day coz I woke at 4am and didn't get back to sleep. I'm low on food and just eating what's left. Out of date soup. Cheap sausages and some white chocolate, an orange, etc. The west is predicting further price rises due to the war. I've been trying to work but tired and cold and had to re-tweak bits of the books, but I have all the covers and endpapers chosen and will be cracking on with more tomorrow. I got quite a bit done for next week's Hexham workshop. I've got a headache and I want to get to bed. I listened to Parallel Lines by Blondie. The other night was The Jam and some punk stuff. I have hot blackcurrant but no central heating on. I’m keen to sleep. Feeling confident about books though. And spring is coming. Big bike times soon. OK. 11.12pm.


Friday 25th February 2022

The books are coming along nicely but taking longer than expected. Initially, the new volumes were going to be quick turnaround booklets, but I decided to put in an endpaper to make them open to the title page better. I sewed up twenty books with various colour combinations. The bit I thought would be tricky, gluing covers on, was fairly straight forward. Good natural light and ability to work methodically with the materials and less fear of making a gluey mess. Of course, the trimming can be fraught with danger. I'm going to use ordinary black gel ink for the lettering on most of the covers and will probably pencil in first. I aim to get books ready for sale next week. I enjoyed watching Katie Kookaburra and Ali Clarkson bike videos tonight and some zine stuff. OK. 11.31pm.


Saturday 26th February 2022

First batch of books all assembled now. I went into Consett late this afternoon for stationery supplies – got some ace metallic silver and gold sharpies for lettering on darker card. I wanted to read but a bit too tired. Think I'll get an early night and hopefully get the books trimmed and inked up tomorrow. I'm not at Jen's till Wednesday. 10.22pm.


Sunday 27th February 2022

First ride in Allensford Woods this year. Front wheel slid out on wet leaves down wooden steps. Jerked my neck when I fell to the left. Only rode about forty-five minutes. Selected exercises for Tuesday's Waddy workshop and listened to a couple of Pistols tracks. Still a few books to trim. Pleased to accept a feature set for next Under the Arches Spoken Word event on 8th March. OK. 10.55pm.


Monday 28th February 2022

It’s quite pleasing to not have time for social media at present. I got the books inked up today. Planned material for two workshops – Waddy tomorrow and Hexham on Wednesday. I have a fifteen-to-twenty-minute gig set to put together, and a couple of taster sessions for 12th March. As well as two longer sessions at Bullion Hall. I hope I can sell some books next week. I hope to get some decent sunlight tomorrow for more photos before heading off to Durham. I’ve printed out a bunch of fantasy drabble stories for one of the writers. Even a hundred-word plot feels like an ordeal to me, but I’m going to have a go at writing some. The house is quite cold again. Three degrees. But my lovely super thermal socks are doing okay. Headache, from the bike spill, has gone. I’ve lost my physical fitness. Need it back. 10.28pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment