Pages

Monday 4 July 2022

JUNE 2022

Wednesday 1st June 2022

Whoops! So engrossed in the late-night nostalgia trip looking at performance pix on Facebook I forgot to scribble something before midnight. It was good to get some editing done earlier. Outside, I only got as far as the shop on Derby Drive. Pleased rain stopped. I watched some Toyah and Lene Lovich and PIL videos. Checked the offroad Parkhead to Rookhope route online. Want to ride that before grouse shooting starts this summer. I will try to bike in the morning. No doubt the trails at present will be gloop. Gravel ride only, then. 12.08am.


Thursday 2nd June 2022

Spotted someone in town this morning wearing a “Hands Off Gretel” t-shirt. Turned out to be an old neighbour from Bridgehill. Chatted for a while. I bought a load of cakes and chocolate from Barry’s Bargain Superstore and got home about quarter to two. Managed to get the grass cut quite easily. Less than an hour. Been online sporadically. Wanted to go out on the bike but rain stopped play. Enjoyed the bus ride over to Jen’s tonight. Not many onboard. Sunday service due to the bank holiday. I’m going to see Toyah tomorrow at Sage Gateshead. Lene Lovich is on the bill. And Saffron from Republica. Jen screened the Wise Owl episode of Inside Number Nine. Got some good ideas down for future work stuff. 11.35pm.


Friday 3rd June 2022

Nice lie in. We did a food haul in Gateshead. I got three 90p steak pies for 27p each. Ate two today, will have the third tomorrow. Watched a Portrait Artist Competition from 2019 on Sky Arts this evening. Then out to Sage Gateshead for a fabulous triple bill of Lene Lovich, Toyah and Saffron in Hall Two. Surprised at how energetic Lene was, and that Toyah took the middle set instead of third. Great to hear Saffron belt out Drop Dead Gorgeous and Ready to Go plus a version of Hazel O’Connor’s ‘8th Day’. Saffron was moved by the birthday wishes and rapturous applause. She was joined by Toyah for a duet of ‘Will You’ then all the musicians returned for a mega bash finale of ‘Rebel Yell’. Show ran half an hour longer than billed. Great sets. Fantastic atmosphere. 11.35pm.


Saturday 4th June 2022

Enjoyed the Popmaster Quiz all-dayer podcast on the Ken Bruce show. It was followed by a few episodes of Evil Genius; we listened to arguments for and against Roald Dahl, Freddy Mercury, Alexander Hamilton (from the Musical) and Lou Reed. Freddy and Mr Dahl were the best, I thought. Jenni was tickled by The Queen and Paddington Bear comparing marmalade sandwiches this evening. Some of the music was good but Rod Stewart was struggling. Jools Holland is on now. Kasabian, Nuts, Kae Tempest, etc. More pies and chocolate. 11.13pm.


Sunday 5th June 2022

Jenni was working today so I just pottered on in the attic. Read a few music articles, did a bit if tidying up. This afternoon we had chilli and chips. Watched some music videos. Queen, Nouvelle Vague, Postmodern Jukebox. Jen went to a friend’s house, and I got the eight o’clock bus home. Lucky for me the rain wasn’t too heavy in Consett. Cheese and cucumber sandwich for supper. Maybe I’ll read a bit of Hollie McNish. 10.32pm.


Monday 6th June 2022

Do I really care if the PM gets the boot? Far rather let him limp towards total self-destruction of the Tory Party. I pulled some pix together for tomorrow’s workshop. Then spent a good while typing up student poems and giving written feedback. Also, found out Michael Monroe is on a triple bill with Blackstar Riders and Phil Campbell next February at Newcastle City Hall so I might take the opportunity. I listened to a six music Paul Cook and Steve Jones interview for PisToL. Great that they’ve been mates for over fifty years, or near enough. I haven’t been shaved today. I’m a wreck really. Haven’t been on a bike for days. Struggling to focus on work. Will try again in the morning. OK. 11.06pm.


Tuesday 7th June 2022

Sounds like someone is setting off fireworks again tonight. I’ve been doing precious little which is a bugger coz I wanted to ride the bike. Will wait until after my gig this week. The Waddy session was good. Picture Half Marathon with ten rounds of writing using some Waddy art and other paintings. I just lay on the bed tonight. Read a few poems from ‘Big Bella’s Dirty Café’ by Paul Summers. 10.40pm.


Wednesday 8th June 2022

Good to finally get the Poetry Jam poster and event page done. Took a lot longer than I thought. Pleased to get my gig set for tonight’s Born Lippy printed large. I got the bus to Jen’s around teatime. She didn’t fancy coming to the gig. I enjoyed seeing Sophie Raine do a set. Her taxi driver piece stood out for me. The slammers were good. Susie McComb won it. Enjoyed John Scott’s comedy set. Politics and mental health. And Thick Richard was good. I bought his “Read ‘em and Weep” book. Sold a morning pages book, Unruly Eyebrow and Milking a Joe Brainard Riff. I walked to Central Station and caught a 54-bus to Bensham. Had some Dairylea on stodgy brown bread for supper. 11.45pm.


Thursday 9th June 2022

Bit of online admin this morning. Then up to Gateshead for some food supplies then pizza and spicy potato wedges with Jenni. Watched a couple of Tales of the Unexpected. One starred Anthony Valentine (Raffles) trying to get rid of his wife so he could go with another woman (a young Amanda Redman) who was losing her eyesight. Got the metro to Sunderland and stood in for an unwell Helen Wilko to host King Ink. Good to see James and Cara Oates there, Mel McEvoy and the Sunderland regulars. Ash Dickinson did a stellar headline set mainly from his new book Instructions for Outlaws. I bought a copy. Got the metro back with Joey Avery. Talked about editing and publishing. And feral kids in Tynemouth. Had Dairylea on toast back at Jen’s and watched two episodes of New Tricks. 10.53pm.


Friday 10th June 2022

Bullion Hall session went well. Bus home was late. Two and a quarter hours door to door. Had a quick bowl of soup, put stuff away then went to Consett for food supplies. Wanted a bike ride but will have to wait till tomorrow or Sunday. I forgot to buy razors. I have a couple of cheap ones, but they are likely to rip my face to pieces. Might read a bit of Ash Dickinson or Thick Richard tonight. 10.35pm.


Saturday 11th June 2022

First big ride out on the Sonder Frontier bike in a while. Went over to Beamish Woods and tried some trails but had to be extra careful coz I forgot to wear my helmet. I wasn’t concerned about falling off. More likely to scratch my scalp on low branches. Did some neat step-ups onto a two-foot-high rock and rode off cleanly. Weaved back and forth with no mechanical failure. Big all-day breakfast for tea. Didn’t do much afterwards. 10.08pm.


Sunday 12th June 2022


Still quite achy today. Afternoon on the couch reading Ash Dickinson’s new poetry collection “Instructions for Outlaws”. Fave poems are the anti-tech PAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE and GOOD MORNING VITAMIN about the Superdrug DJ. Fantastic stuff. This evening I did copy-ups and inflicted Question Time on myself: No Confidence, Fuel Increase, Right to Buy, Rail Strike… 10.00pm.


Monday 13th June 2022

Long day. Up around quarter past seven. Did the morning pages which gave me loads of ideas for tomorrow’s Waddy writing session. About twenty activities. I won’t get through them all. But it’s good to have back-up. Got the grass cut again. Front and back. About 45 minutes. Tonight, I watched Fish, Fury and Attila the Stockbroker videos. 10.36pm.


Tuesday 14th June 2022

Perhaps planned a bit much stuff for Waddy session but no matter. Enough to get us through next week. Some journaling exercises and a look at the feedback I wrote for works in progress. I went into Durham afterwards in search of gift ideas but to no avail. Got a card, and later a garden centre voucher. Hoping to get out on the bike tomorrow. Bed soon. 10.20pm.


Wednesday 15th June 2022

Mint time doing old-man low level trials and winding trails on my Sonder Frontier bike. Rode a few new lines on rocks by the River Derwent for a while. One of my favourite bits of singletrack in nearby woods is now blocked by fallen tangled trees but never mind, I ascended steps off the bridge at Shotley and over bits of rock onto the road without putting a foot down. Ditto challenging rooty incline off a narrow old bridge in woods near Allensford. And finally, up a tricky gravel slope out of the trees onto a main road in Moorside then home. Totally buzzing. Chuffed I still get to have fun on two wheels in my fifties. 11.01pm.


Thursday 16th June 2022

Wrote some more stuff about last night’s bike ride. Sent another biog letter to Bullion Hall. Sent some workshop exercises to a friend. Made up some copies of Unruly Eyebrow. Full shift. Deleted a load of pix from the mobile device. Haven’t had the desktop PC on. Was in touch with Jenni. She is working at the Elton John gig in Sunderland on Sunday night, so I won’t be over. Hopefully I’ll bike again tomorrow or Saturday. I still have a bit of stuff to prep for next Tuesday. I want to make another little volume like Unruly Eyebrow. Surely there’s enough recent material for it. I heard the new Behemoth single Off to War tonight. Would need a few listens to get it.10.10pm.


Friday 17th June 2022

Buses were a bit of a pain today, but I got to the workshop okay. Shame attendance wasn’t as expected. I changed my plan and did some off-the-cuff exercises that worked out so well I wrote them up as a lesson plan on the spot. Again, buses from Chester le Street to Consett not great. Two hours fifteen minutes from venue to my house. Had lush chicken curry curry for tea, bit of a lie down then out to Consett for supplies. I’m pleased to see that Kate Bush is Number One in the UK singles charts with Running Up that Hill. It isn’t even a rerelease. Merely rose to the top due to streaming off the back of its use in tv series Stranger Things. Tonight I watched again the Ali Clarkson video of him competing in a biketrial event on his fatbike. I’d like to go to a trial but without personal transport it’s impossible. I hope to sleep better tonight. I’m knackered. Want to ride tomorrow. OK. 10.29pm.


Saturday 18th June 2022

Put the desktop computer on and caught up with admin. Two good poetry gigs booked for July and September to look forward to. The old Rockhopper bike is back from the repair shop. Tonight I was rock-riding on the Sonder. Punctured at Shotley Bridge. 70-min walk home to Moorside. I had a spare innertube with me, but my arms were tired, and the tyres are a bastard to get off and on. Tyre levers? A crowbar would be better. Listened to Toyah’s version of Slave to the Rhythm. OK 11.25pm.


Sunday 19th June 2022

Took an hour to fix a puncture. Well, to get the tyre off and back on. The puncture only took about five minutes. Spoke to Mam and Ernie on the phone. Had steak pie and veg for dinner. Keyed in some notes. Wrote to a couple of bike companies about quick-engaging rear hubs. Watched a few videos: Jeff Lenosky, Public Image Limited, rear bike hubs, Jack Carthy trials garden session. Baulked at the cost of the merchandise that Jenni is selling tonight for Elton John. 11.00pm.


Monday 20th June 2022

Big busy day. Did quite a bit of admin. Keyed in some of my stuff, some student poems and was offered a gig at a suicide awareness event taking place tomorrow night at Durham University. Then I was invited to run a bookmaking workshop. I got no lesson plans typed but I have the notes. The punctured tube I fixed yesterday was flat again. So I’ve replaced the tube altogether. I now need to buy more coz I have no spares. Jarboe is playing a Newcastle concert in November. Me and Stephen Clark bought tickets this evening. And now I’ve just found out that Michael Gira of Swans is playing the UK the same month. But not coming near us. I don’t fancy travelling to Glasgow or Liverpool or Canterbury or Hackney. But never say never. I went out on the Sonder tonight, but I was a bit tired. Rode a trail at the Gill caves and one behind the industrial estate. Had a shower and a bowl of porridge. 11.51pm.


Tuesday 21st June 2022

Good session at Waddy. We looked at techniques and tips for self-editing. We read Tom Kelly’s short story ‘The Hen Cree’. We did an A2Z word bank exercise. I hung around the Centre quite a while, had my tea there. Not many staff present. Tonight I walked to Collingwood College. Got lost twice. But made it with plenty of time to spare. Lovely venue and people. Really enjoyed being part of the RT Projects show. Some mint singers. Beano the host was great. Enjoyed his delivery. A woman called Jo did a great ‘I am’ poem. The theme was suicide awareness but not all the work was dark. I read The Gift and Yesteryear’s Lunch in the first half; and in the second, Coming Back to This. Beano gave a mint intro that helped me talk about skateboards and bikes and being at Waddy. It went down well. Singer songwriter Steve Pledger was brilliant. A little girl who did a poem and singer Olivia were both fantastic. I’m on the 21-bus to Gateshead now. 11.08pm.


Wednesday 22nd June 2022

Did pages, had toast. Jen was up surprisingly early then out, said she had something to do. I thought maybe an errand for her mam. She returned about 45 minute later with a haircut. We did our social media for a while. I wrote some messages to Stephen and Tony. Then me and Jenni went to round to the community room for the flats where her mam lives. Met some support staff and a couple of the residents and a local labour councillor. Stayed an hour or so then returned to the attic furnace for egg and chips. Then braved the swelter directly to go into town. I got some elasticated shorts in a charity shop for two quid – more cash for chocolate cake. Have spent a lot this week – bike repairs, Jarboe ticket, clothes and travel. Hopefully get paid soon. Tonight we listened to hip-hop and rock. Impressed by Lord Bishop Rocks. Got the 9.15pm to Consett. 11.04pm.


Thursday 23rd June 2022

Another warm day. I sent some workshop plans to Rowan McCabe for next week’s bookmaking session in Jarrow and pulled together a list of equipment and other requirements. Keyed in some journal and some student work. I watched a Katie Kookaburra bike video. And a superb clip of Lance Trappe hopping onto a huge boulder on his freeride bike. I’ve played the first album by Steve Pledger and enjoyed it. Revisited the song Misery by Creeper. Listened to some of the most popular Skunk Anansie songs – saw the band at the Lost Weekend Festival at Docklands Arena 22 years ago. Tonight I checked out some of Jarboe’s new material. Also sat though Question Time. Mostly I find people don’t seem to grasp that by and large governments don’t give a shit about them so expecting helpful plans from a bunch of land grabbing embezzlers is somewhat naïve. Bed soon. 11.50 pm.


Friday 24th June 2022


Took a while to get to Chester le Street today. And a while to get home due to the Sunderland buses being withdrawn at short notice. The writing workshop was good though. Adj/noun/verb, I remember, ‘I Am’ poems, personal word definitions. Fit the time frame really well. I bought cakes and biscuits at Barry’s. Then the rain came down, so I dashed into the bus station and there I stayed for an hour coz more buses were cancelled. A mother with three restless young boys sat on the bench near me for a while then got on a bus to Chopwell. An annoyed local talked to the young security guard and announced to all within ear shot that another bus hasn’t turned up. I got home at quarter past six. Tonight I watched a bit of a two-hour Jarboe interview. I am tired and want to ride my bike tomorrow if there’s no rain. It’s hot again. I need to wash some clothes and complete my prep for next week. 11.21pm.


Saturday 25th June 2022

Woke at three and didn’t get back to sleep till six. Went out on the bike for a couple of hours coz it was forecast rain for later. I didn’t ride so well. Only managed a couple of new lines. Got some more bits and pieces together for next Thursday’s bookmaking workshop. Had a curry and a shave then walked up to Consett. Had to stay on X45-bus all the way to Newcastle coz no stops at Askew Road near Jen’s place. Walked all the way back to Bensham. Me and Jenni talking politics tonight. 11.12pm.


Sunday 26th June 2022

Today was pretty good. Reworked my plans for Jarrow bookmaking session. Then time with Jenni. We watched the full second series of The Other Half this afternoon. Then a couple of Crackanory stories and bits of Glastonbury. 47-bus to Consett and canny walk back home. 11.23pm.


Monday 27th June 2022

Pulled some Waddy plans together. Went out to photograph the original ‘Anomalies’ image for the book workshop. Bought some scissors and sewing needles. Tonight I glued some mini zines but messed up a few. I didn’t get week eight workshop typed up. No matter. I will be up super early to do more tomorrow. I have all the stock on the floor for the Jarrow workshop. I hope it goes well. I keep getting pains in my neck. Hopefully nothing serious. Need to focus on physical health. I want a Hope hub in the back wheel of the Sonder Frontier. Tonight I listened to Michael Monroe. Would like to see him in Newcastle next year. 11.22pm.


Tuesday 28th June 2022

Very busy. Awake at five. Pages then up for a full English minus bacon. I did some reprints of mini-zines and got my lesson plans done and the case all packed up. Then out to Consett. Bought another Amos glue stick. A guy on the bus spilt a can of drink and I thought it might soak through my wheelie case. Did lots of photocopies at Waddy. We did a readaround as prep for next week’s Learner’s Awards Day. I showed people my Anomalies Deluxe book and how to make a spined paperback. Stayed back to do some photocopies for this Thursday’s Jarrow workshop. I think I may have prepped too much stuff. At Jen’s now. We watched soaps and New Tricks. 11.10pm.


Wednesday 29th June 2022

Today was good. Up early to do pages and write out Jen’s anniversary card. We got lots of well wishes from friends on Facebook. I did a bit more work this morning making up zines. They came out okay this time. We had a nice dinner of veg tart with onion rings and mozzarella sticks. This afternoon we went out to Gateshead. We trawled the charity shops. I was tempted to buy cargo pants and a Madonna t-shirt but settled on some shorts for three quid. Jenni got a This Is My I Hate Everything Today T-Shirt. We had BLT sandwiches and Mr Kipling fruit pies. This evening I needed a lie down to stave off a headache. Then we watched Pie in the Sky. Bed soon. 10.45pm.


Thursday 30th June 2022

Long day. Up at six to shower and get pages done then out at 7.15am to Gateshead and on to Jarrow for half eight. Set up at Route2Work Centre and did two hours for the group there. Rowan McCabe and support workers kept things moving along with the group. I wasn’t expecting the participants to find things so difficult. Pocket broadsheets, stapled and sewn pamphlets, sequencing poems from a contents list onto a printer’s dummy booklet. Images for book covers. I got back to Moorside at ten past three. Dropped off the wheelie case then back to Consett for a tinned curry and finances check. Tonight I promoted Poetry Jam and keyed in some student poems. Invoiced a client. Read some stuff about the new Sinead O’Connor documentary. Very tired. Neck still aching. Another workshop tomorrow. 11.20pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment