Pages

Wednesday 1 June 2022

MAY 2022


Sunday 1st May 2022

Slow day. Didn’t finish morning pages till twelve. Skipped breakfast and made steak pie and veg dinner. Keyed in some stuff and got ready to come over to Jen’s. We watched a few episodes of Inside No 9. I’m not sure about this month at all. 11.37pm.


Monday 2nd May 2022

Woke at six. Morning pages were thoughts I might express at work tomorrow. But as the day progressed, I started to feel better. Great episode of Frasier where he is feuding with a neighbour about the communal laundry room. The neighbour’s mother pretends to have a relationship with Marty to annoy her son and Frasier. Then a great Undercover Boss: singer songwriter Jewel Kilcher in disguise at an open mic; then at an art studio; later, a construction site. Me and Jenni watched Ronnie O’Sullivan beat Judd Trump 18/13 in the World Snooker Championship. One of Jen’s comedy friends was on Live at the Apollo. Now it’s New Tricks and I will have to go to bed soon coz I need to be up early to get ready for Waddy. Hope the session goes okay. Still a bit anxious. Pleased that I’m all prepped for it. Fingers crossed. 11.13pm.


Tuesday 3rd May 2022

Tough day. Have had a big stress wobble for over a week and thought I might have to bail on the session but managed to pull through it. I’m extremely grateful to Steve and Ali at Waddy for helping me today. I hope to get better. I went back to Jenni’s place tonight. We watched a few episodes of Pie in the Sky starring Richard Griffith and Maggie Steed. The dialogue is witty, the characters are likeable. RG plays a policeman on the verge of retirement who wants to open a restaurant. He’s totally calm as a copper; up a height on opening night in the kitchen. I ate tinned ravioli on toast. Jenni watched Derry Girls and I caught the 47-bus back to Consett. 11.58pm.


Wednesday 4th May 2022

I stayed in bed until half past two this afternoon. That is the latest ever. Think if I got up at a reasonable hour and tried to go about my day I might have collapsed. Tension in my shoulders, razors in my stomach, little bits of dizziness. I had a bowl of porridge and then started to edit last month. So much of little substance. On the plus side, I got all the July guests booked for the Poetry Jam. Tonight, I listened to some of Queen’s News of the World then watched a Twisted Sister concert on YouTube. Later, I challenged myself to listen to Diamanda Galas singing ‘At the Dark End of the Street’ and was sobbing by about two minutes in. Has had that effect since I first heard it back in about 2007. 11.50pm.


Thursday 5th May 2022

No elections in our area. Which is possibly for the best coz I wouldn’t have a clue who to vote for. Obviously not Tory. But Labour, under Kier Starmer, don’t seem much better. And the Lib Dems went into coalition with the Torys back in the previous decade, so they are a total no-no as far as I’m concerned. Who else is there to you vote for? I haven’t watched any TV news. The results will start coming in tomorrow and conclude over the weekend. It was good to get out on the Sonder Frontier bike. I tried riding some uphill singletrack near the Gill Bridge, but I’m so unfit I was gasping and wheezing, trying to keep momentum over tree roots. I rode along the cycle path then downhill into Castleside and messed around on the ashy waste ground where I used to train for trials competitions when the quarry was too muddy. I managed to get up a broken wall and continue the trail without putting a foot down. I got home about quarter to nine and have been lying down since. 11.46pm.


Friday 6th May 2022

If you could see the wreck I am these days
You’d have new reasons to stay away
Just hold my hand for a little while
Misery never goes out of style
                                                 - Creeper

Today was a bit better. At least I got out of bed before midday. I keyed in some notes. Watched Ali Clarkson complete a round of the British Biketrial Championship on a jump bike. Watched three or four versions of the song quoted above. Haven’t done much reading of late. Hope to sleep a bit better tonight. Hope I do okay at Waddy on Tuesday and Bullion Hall a week on Saturday. Can’t even remember what I’m doing for it. Oh well. 11.00pm.


Saturday 7th May 2022

Been low for a few days but Jenni asked me to go see a play in town followed by an open mic night at The Globe. Good to see people I’ve not seen for ages afterwards. Some mint music on the mic. Great to see Sandy perform punk song-poems and then be joined by Katie Yossarian and David McAllister amongst others for a great rendition of Dirty Old Town by The Pogues. Enjoyed seeing people up and dancing. It’s a very comfortable room. 10.41pm.


Sunday 8th May 2022

Long lie in then out to Gateshead with Jenni for supplies. Then an episode of Pie in the Sky. We had Mediterranean vegetable tart with chips. Jenni screened the White Bear episode of Black Mirror which freaked me out coz I’m a little frazzled at the moment. The girl who sang ‘I Put a Spell on You’ was the best act on Britain’s Got Talent tonight. Bus home was okay. Need to get to bed. 11.52pm.


Monday 9th May 2022

Thought stress and anxiety were fading but still rough till after I got the grass cut this afternoon. Been upstairs working on the material for tomorrow’s Waddy session. I had hoped to get stuff sorted for next Saturday, but it will have to wait until Wednesday. Been listening to quite a bit of Pulp today. I remember the hits and like quite a few tracks from Different Class and This is Hardcore, but not a fan really. Being at the keyboard most of the day doesn’t leave you with much to write about. Left hand tingling from the lawnmower. Haven’t written any good poems except ‘Prompt’ and a ‘Glosa’ about missed connections. Really tired. Might eat another orange before bed. Have lots to do this week. Hope to get more workshops sorted soon. Hope I can afford electricity to keep the computer going. 10.22pm.


Tuesday 10th May 2022

Good session at Waddy. Almost full house initially. We got through quite a few exercises. I enjoyed chatting with staff on top floor and down in the lounge. Think my ‘Glosa’ poem from last week went down okay. I will have to run it by the author of the original poem if I’m ever going to publish or perform it. Stayed on the couch till nearly nine tonight going through my worklog to check how much paid work I’ve had in the past financial year. Out for supplies. Noticing price increases on most things. Ten pence here, sixteen pence there. People online worrying about gas and electricity. My living room bulb needs replacing. I’m now upstairs by lamplight. I need to knock on a few doors in the coming days to see if I can get any workshops. Maybe a writing marathon. Really tired. 10.38pm.


Wednesday 11th May 2022

Slow day but worked okay till five. Got my number crunching logged for self-assessment. Copied up worklog and gratitude journals then prepped materials for my promo visit to Bullion Hall open day this weekend. I tried to read a book this evening but fell asleep on the couch. I’m finding in my fifties that I need more rest during the day and am quite content to avoid my preferred leisure activities in favour of merely gazing into space. I was still on the couch in darkness at ten this evening. I’d like to ride the bike tomorrow but need another puncture repair kit and innertube. I hate removing the back wheel of the Sonder. 10.50pm.


Thursday 12th May 2022

Visited Blackhill Community Centre this morning in hopes of being able to hire a room for a writing course. Or taster session. I looked at flyers for guitar courses, arts and crafts, etc. Talked to a woman who used to be a dinner lady at Benfieldside Junior School. She told me who to contact for bookings. I also popped round to The Lodge in Consett Park, but it was all shuttered. I bought a new innertube for the bike at Mo-Tech and walked down to Citizen’s House to check out their courses. Then I got some food supplies. 20% price hike on steak pies. Increases on other items. And still Sunak resists imposing a windfall tax on energy companies’ excessive profits while people starve and go into debt. Tonight, I got out on the Sonder Frontier. Cleaned some trail sections. Personal best over a woodland stream and scoop up a bankside. Later, I tried to read some of Natalie Goldberg’s ‘Wild Mind’ but fell asleep. At least Creeper didn’t make me cry. OK. 10.35pm.


Friday 13th May 2022

By the time I get to the end of this page and turn off the computer I’ll have been busy for best part of fifteen hours. So long I can’t even remember half of what I’ve done but it’s all work-related. I wrote to places in hopes of gigs or workshops. I made up a morning pages book. I keyed in a lesson plan from last Tuesday. I printed the pages of a Waddy Works 2019 anthology for one of the writers. Trimmed business cards and mini flyers. Keyed in some of my own pages. I pulled together the rest of the materials for tomorrow’s Bullion Hall open day visit. I’ve had two non-work-related phone calls but otherwise all Talking Pen in some shape or form. Hope to sleep okay and be up in time to shave before the bus to Chester-le-Street. My eyes are gritty. Going to get supper then switch off. 11.55pm.


Saturday 14th May

Up early to get ready for my visit to Bullion Hall. Set up just before twelve. Was good to see Helen Fox there and meet a crafter interested in my work. Tonight me, Jenni and her mam went to some of the Late Shows. Good to have a look round Shipley Art Gallery. Enjoyed the small punk exhibition in Newcastle library. We ended up at the Discovery Museum but, with most exhibits closed, it was mainly people drinking and playing games – Jenga and Connect 4 – at an eighties disco. Enjoyed the free bus travel around Tyneside. Now back in Bensham. 11.08pm.


Sunday 15th May 2022

Throwing a frisbee in Avondale Park this afternoon set off RSI in my left wrist. I’d be shit at full-time manual labour. Later, after pie and curly fries, me and Jenni watched the entire first series of ‘The Other One’ about sisters who only get to know each other after the death of their father. It was really good. Then a dodgy black and white Batman from 1949. I forgot to bring my mobile device home. 11.50pm.


Monday 16th May 2022

Took me till twelve to sort out promo stuff and emails for the Bullion Hall sessions. Did quite a bit of prep for the next writing session at Waddy. I’ve not read a great deal. Didn’t like having the computer on so long but couldn’t get messenger on my dodgy old tablet. I listened to a lot of Fury, mainly The Grand Prize album. Looked through loads of pix on Jenni’s Facebook account: 12 years including amazing performances… Good to see footage of Brian May playing We Will Rock You and March of the Black Parade with My Chemical Romance from Reading Festival 2011 online tonight. Looking forward to another visit to Jen’s place.10 18pm.


Tuesday 17th May 2022

Out early to get to Waddy to make an out-of-print booklet for one of the writers. Tried to get images for a picture marathon but still undecided. Maybe wait until summer. Today’s session was mint. The writers enjoyed the spoken ‘I remember’ exercise greatly. Wrote some excellent big and small poems, made steppingstones lists and scenes from autobiographical stories. Late on, I went to Jen’s place. Sadly, she’s had another bereavement. Tonight, I dodged rain and got supplies on the way home. Keep feeling dizzy, churning stomach. Stress and anxiety, I think. Hopefully better times ahead. Gov sent £150 towards energy bills. 11.41pm.


Wednesday 18th May 2022

Besides a few emails and checking out some online Lit mags I’ve not got very far this afternoon. Enjoyed watching Sex Pistols Live at Brixton Academy 2007. Followed by The Public Image is Rotten, which was ace – been wanting to see it for ages, didn’t know it was online. I’ve eaten tinned curry with basmati rice. I’ve polished off a cheap bar of white chocolate and stayed indoors. Good to correspond with my old friend Stephen today. Hopefully we are meeting up next weekend. We’ve agreed a date, but anything can happen in a week. I got a great reference from Steve Wakefield for Bullion Hall sessions. Toyed with doing some flyering on Friday but might leave it till next Tuesday afternoon. Struggling again. 10.37pm.


Thursday 19th May 2022

Woke up at five. Morning pages done by six. Out to Consett at seven. Got money out the bank towards next energy bill. It’s not my money; I’m just doing a transaction from the Gov to an energy scalper to balance the books. I got the grass cut properly today. Set the blade lower to get a closer cut. Should be easier to keep decent now. Was good to get a phone call from Jenni this afternoon. Really tired after tea. Didn’t get out on the bike until after seven. Didn’t trust myself to do anything too technical. I have mainly been eating bread and porridge. I am knackered but I got some prep done for tomorrow. Aiming to drop some flyers for the writing course. Enjoyed the nice weather. It’s forecast rain tomorrow. I am eager to get to bed. 10.40pm.


Friday 20th May 2022

Went to Waddy this morning to check out the artwork for a future workshop then keyed in some student poems on the middle floor. I left at lunchtime to go to Chester-le-Street to put up a couple of posters and give out some flyers. But by the time I got there a tickly throat was turning into a cough and when I got home my nose was blocked and I had a headache. I took a LFT just to confirm my fears, but it was negative. Still felt rough. Had to cancel a visit to Jen’s place. Watched Billy Joel live at Shea Stadium DVD from 2008. Two hours and 35 minutes. I’ve had ‘chicken soup for the soul’ and Dairylea on muti-seed bread. I’ve decamped to the bedroom and will be turning in early to hopefully get about 12 hours sleep. I have a feeling I might not be fit for Tuesday’s workshop, but fingers crossed.9.17pm.


Saturday 21st May 2022

Today was worse. A bit more coughing and a bit more snot. I stayed on the couch most of the day but perked up to tidy the kitchen and read a bit more of the Alan Davies memoir Just Ignore Him. Listened to a couple of Nell Bryden songs. She’s really good. And a couple of Creeper. I took some ibuprofen and calmed the throat down a little bit. But my voice still sounds odd. Hope I’m okay by Tuesday. I’ll be in bed early again. 9.15pm.


Sunday 22nd May 2022

Think I might not get to work this coming week. I didn’t do much until after tea. Read a few more chapters of Alan Davies and some Wild Mind by Natalie Goldberg. Downed ibuprofen, pineapple and oranges. Back in bed before dark. Fingers crossed. 9.15pm.


Monday 23rd May 2022

Told Jen about my throat and voice today. Fingers crossed it will be okay for Thursday’s The Lovely Eggs gig. I don’t think it will be okay for Waddy tomorrow. I’ve prepped the session and typed feedback for a number of pieces in hopes that I will be okay to go in. I rang Waddy and spoke to Ali this afternoon, but I don’t think things will be good enough by morning. It seems to get a bit better by bedtime. But then I wake up in the middle of the night and it’s sore and super husky again. It was good to listen to Nell Bryden today. And Fury. Jeni sent links to Lesbian Bed Death and GBH. Not the sort of bands I’d expect her to pick out. I am going to bed an hour later than last night. The doc on the phone told me I should maybe rest the voice for seven to ten days. Had another negative covid test, but think I’ll be screwed for this week. Maybe okay for Friday. We’ll see, anyway, feel okay otherwise. 10.24pm.


Tuesday 24th May 2022

Due to various setbacks, I’ve not made best use of the light evenings this year. My energy level isn’t where I’d like it to be, the bike has stayed unridden. And it’s going to rain tomorrow. But at least I made it to Waddy. My voice was still noticeably croaky, but I got through my session okay. Bus was a bit late back from Durham. Talked to one of the Consett Writers at the stop. I got back just after five. Had some chunky lentil and bacon soup and a little cheese sandwich. Read an article on the upcoming ‘Pistol’ series about 70’s punk scene based on the Steve Jones memoir Lonely Boy. Then fell asleep for a while. Soon as the light fades outside I come upstairs and turn in early. But the evenings are getting longer. I will make it out on the bike sooner or later. I’m working at home tomorrow then off to Jen’s for a few days. Throat sore again due to lack of fluids. I am my own worst enemy. Nemesist. OK. 10.00pm.


Wednesday 25th May 2022

Great to get out on the Sonder Frontier after breakfast. Took it easy as I’ve not got a lot of energy but found some nice little obstacles to play on down by the Derwent. This afternoon I got all my papers sorted for Bullion Hall workshop on Friday. I did a lot of typing, listened to Nell Bryden and Public Image Limited. Watched the excellent ‘Upon the Lonesome Tide’ video by Fury. Was meant to be at Jen’s tonight but going tomorrow. Still need to sort clothes and get a shave.10.45pm.


Thursday 26th May 2022

Long day. I read a bunch of essays from Gillie Bolton and Co from Writing Works till half twelve. Then shaved and packed for Jen’s place. 47-bus took ages. I had porridge for tea then a steak pie on the walk into Newcastle. We saw The Lovely Eggs at The Cluny tonight. They were supported by Arch Femmesis, an electro two-piece – Lady Gaga meets Marilyn Manson, Jen said – and Thick Richard who did a fantastic half-hour poetry set. The Lovely eggs were ace. Really entertaining and played quite a few songs I knew. Jenni bought a FUCK IT scarf and waved it during that song. We got pizza and chips on the way home and ranted about the state of the world. 12.35am.


Friday 27th May 2022

Up early, showered then out to Gateshead. Bought a pie and some chocolate then looked at workshop notes on the bus to Chester-le-Street. Had a great session at Bullion Hall. It was good to revisit some of my old evening class exercises. I bought soup and buns for tea afterwards then bused back to Gateshead. Me and Jenni had a laugh at Jeff Goldblum who was high as a kite on The One Show tonight. Watched a couple of episodes of an old series called Rev. Chip butty supper. Bed soon. 10.46pm.


Saturday 28th May 2022

Great to spend a few hours with my old friend Stephen Clark after not seeing him for over two and a half years. Chatted about books, music and work; put the world to rights. Me and Jenni watched The Witch this evening. It was canny but I prefer Hereditary. Also saw a bit of Inside Number 9 but fell asleep. 11.09pm.


Sunday 29th May 2022

Jen did us a lovely Med veg tart with hash browns and salad for dinner. We watched the Metal Lords film about teenagers preparing for a high school battle of the bands. I stayed till nine this evening then caught the 47-bus to Consett. It was spitting rain when I got off, but I didn’t really get wet on the walk to Moorside. Cheese on toast for supper. Unfortunately chipped my Bukowski mug when a cinnamon jar fell out of a cupboard as I rummaged for chocolate. At least the Wi-Fi is back on. 11.16pm.


Monday 30th May 2022

Good to finally get a set together for next week’s Born Lippy. It’s mainly stuff from Laughter to Split Glass plus some Morning Pages and a new piece. I’d rather just do new stuff but feel obliged to put in some big hitters. I’ve been on with it most of the day. I nipped out this afternoon to get some fruit-and-nut chocolate. Watched a 1999 World Biketrial Championship round online this evening. Listened to a Depeche Mode gig. Never seen them live and probably won’t get the opportunity (Andy ‘Fletch’ Fletcher RIP). 9.53pm.


Tuesday 31st May 2022

Reworked the Born Lippy set but reverted to what was prepped yesterday. I tried replacing the big midway five-minute rant with some of the longer poems from Laughter to Split Glass but it’s time to move on. I’m still using four or five pieces from the book but need more recent material in future. I fished out eighteen pieces mostly written in the last couple of years but not fully convinced any of them are finished yet. Could do with some open mic opportunities. This evening I read a bit more of Writing Works and a Steve Jones interview about the release of the ‘Pistol’ series. John Lydon was on Good Morning voicing his objection to the project. He says he was shut out. I have an ache in my left ear. Hope it goes away overnight. 10.21pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment