Pages

Wednesday 4 May 2022

APRIL 2022

Friday 1st April 2022

Wrote a couple of responses to first NaPoWriMo prompt which I quite liked but I’m not going to post things every day. Kept checking my messages for updates from the college. I got an apology from them over the hassle with online training, but I didn’t get to sort my remote access link. Me and Jenni watched some Fury music videos today. A whole show from Southampton made during lockdown without an audience. This evening we went out to the Café under the Spire for a gig. I don’t know who the two bands were. Both played covers throughout. One was more rock, one easy listening. I preferred the rock, but the other group had a clearer sound. I am incapable of making conversation when loud music is playing. Jenni is still over the road. I am ready for bed. 11.35pm.


Saturday 2nd April 2022

Slept in quite late coz I was talking to Jen who got home at six this morning. Did another NaPoWriMo poem. Read an online New Yorker review of the memoir ‘A Childhood’ by Harry Crews. I read the book in my twenties, but it needs a revisit. Sorted some bits of packaging for book despatches. Had a food trip to Tesco. Watched a musical talent show. Jenni made us chip butties with chilli cheese for supper. 10.30pm.


Sunday 3rd April 2022

Big sleep. Then a bit of NaPoWriMo till eleven with some notes for the next workshops. Watched Evan Almighty, a modern times film about building an ark. Tonight, a ‘musicals’ show and the I.T. Crowd. Ate lots of bread and cheese and peanut butter. 10.04pm.


Monday 4th April 2022

Canny night at the Lit and Phil in Newcastle for the launch of Tom Kelly’s short story collection ‘No Love Rations’ from Postbox Press, imprint of Red Squirrel Press. It was good to see Sheila after two years, to chat with Alistair Robinson, and Tom who signed a copy of the book for me. Some of the stories are quite brief. Almost prose poems. They are mostly snapshots from childhood. One in particular, about an ill-fated daytrip to Ovingham, is fantastic. I returned to Jen’s afterwards to find the place in darkness. Jen was on the stairs with a torch as I was coming up. The electricity meter key had been taken by another member of the household and soon power was restored. I got the 47-bus at quarter past ten and read some of the stories Tom read earlier. Very windy in Consett. But thankfully no rain on the walk to Moorside. 11.52pm.


Tuesday 5th April 2022

Didn’t get online until two. Remote college access not sorted yet. Nearly two weeks now. I’ve still got end of term papers to do. I listened to Fury albums and some snippets of bands playing Dominion Festival in Durham in July. I probably won’t be able to afford much by then. I was tempted to order Defying Gravity by Jordan Mooney but am reluctant to splash more cash. No exercise or physio or biking. Bad weather forecast. Hope things pick up by May. Hope life keeps going okay. 10.53pm.


Wednesday 6th April 2022

Finally got remote access to college online system. Will have an early night then stay off the computer tomorrow. At some point I need to do housework. At some point I need to earn some money. But I should be okay until the summer. 10.35pm.



Thursday 7th April 2022

Stayed downstairs today. Read the rest of ‘No Love Rations’ by Tom Kelly (Red Squirrel Press). It’s a good length (86 pages) and I like the stories that vary between prose poem, vignette and memoir. This afternoon I copied up my worklog and gratitude journal whilst listening to the ‘Born to Sin’ CD by Fury. This evening I checked out ‘Heat the Human Not the House’ which is how me and Jenni spend most winters, together and alone. The higher you climb the harder you fall. Me and Jenni have lived near ground zero for ages. Still concerned about corporate monsters. Early night for me. 10.45pm.


Friday 8th April 2022

Feel in a rut. Music I was taking a shine to a few days ago seems a bit below par for me now. Tonight, I listened to The Cult on Spotify. I’ve seen them three times: Love Tour 1985, Electric Tour 1987 and co-headliner with the Mission in 2012. I doubt that I’ll ever see them again. Lene Lovich is playing with Toyah and Saffron from República on the Electric Ladies tour this summer, so I’ll get to see her. I’ll check out some of her stuff over the coming weeks. On a first listen my immediate response was: Well, I can see where Amanda Palmer gets her inspiration. Lo and behold, there’s a clip of Lena duetting with her on a Dresden Dolls song on YouTube. I got some stuff typed. Bought more food and had a Friday night YouTube binge. I will probably be at Jen’s place tomorrow. I hope to get out on the bike first though. Tonight, is fucking cold again. So much for the sunshine. 11.55pm.


Saturday 9th April 2022

Started to tidy the living room. Two hours just to clear the window ledge of papers. It’s going to take ages to get the house half decent. Read a bit of the Uncanny Fiction guide from Dead Ink. Had my first corned beef rissole thing in years. Nice but not enough CB. Went out for a food haul this evening. Still mulling over strained work relations. Going to bed with hopes that tomorrow will be good. 10.22pm.


Sunday 10th April 2022

Did three drafts of a love poem for NaPoWriMo then read some Hollie McNish. Cleared most of the paper and cardstock from the front room; hoovered, then pie and veg dinner and slept for two hours. Then down the river on my Sonder Frontier bike till half seven. Was tempted to watch Joy Division documentary or a Twisted Sister DVD but looked at the Jarboe website instead. Too much chocolate. Need to lose weight. 10.10pm.


Monday 11th April 2022

In the mobile device notifications was the latest scare from NHS association chiefs demanding a return to masks and restricted indoor mixing. Is this the kneejerk response now? Every time the NHS feels overwhelmed, shut the public up at home. Kill off live arts and hospitality for good. Instead of funding the health service. It tainted my day. If indoor mixing is restricted again, I might as well say goodbye to any hope of reviving my career. And Chinese Communist Party can go fuck itself. Totalitarian cunts. Please don't take any more pro-tips from them. I know, I'm selfish coz I want to earn some money instead of gradually going more fucking insane than some believe me to be already. Outstanding admin was more gruelling than normal. At least I got to see some good bike vids tonight. Katie Kookaburra, Jeff Lenosky and Jack Carthy. Not using desktop computer until next week now, I think. 11.00pm.


Tuesday 12th April 2022

Good to watch WE ARE TWISTED FUCKING SISTER on DVD again tonight. Took my mind off all the bullshit in the media at present. I did some physio. Cleaned the stair carpet with a stiff hand brush the size of my palm. It worked pretty well. The farthest that I've been today is the shop on Derby Drive for chocolate. 92 calories a strip. No wonder I am overweight. I got a one sentence letter from the doctor saying recent tests show my blood is in excellent condition. Hope I get to ride the bike tomorrow. 11.07pm.


Wednesday 13th April 2022

Superb night at Born Lippy in Cobalt studios, Newcastle. Really enjoyed all the acts. Opener Ethan Gordon is young and very talented with poems on mental health and transgender issues – great storytelling. Louise Young is one of the best comedians on the circuit. She was on top form with stuff about lockdown, working class roots, how do rich people get all their stuff and the night Gazza hugged her and said they’d had the same life. Dead White Anarchists by Paul Case was top stuff with the guy fully animated and playing multiple characters – Parisian bombers and nihilists. Almost forgot, open mic Jack did an explosive rant about how to acquire a first-time flat – squat in it and tell the owner to fuck off. And headliner Faithfull Johannes was, as Donald said, the Alan Bennet of hip-hop, with songs all played solo incorporating drum and keyboard – monologues about Kenny G going to a Neil Diamond concert to win back a girl and one song about the stuff you’re confronted with in charity shops. All excellently hosted as ever by Donald Jenkins. Managed to rush out at the end and caught the X45 bus, currently racing to Consett. 10.40pm.


Thursday 14th April 2022

Read up on some current affairs. Surely the government is in for a hammering at the local elections. I posted some books to a friend and went into Consett for easter eggs but mainly stuck to normal chocolate coz you get more for your money. I watched Queen and Adam Lambert live around the world and messaged Jenni about last night's Born Lippy. She says there were about eighty to a hundred people at the Earth Requiem art exhibition in Washington last night. I cleaned the recent crud off the new Sonder bike and was gonna watch another DVD but time wasn't on my side. Read a few Tom Kelly poems instead. Hot cross bun for supper and soon to bed. Will be at Jen's for most of the weekend. 10.44pm


Friday 15th April 2022

Today was pretty good. Enjoyed being out on the Sonder Frontier bike. Terrain was a bit firmer, and I cleaned a couple of sections. No major bails. No mechanical failures. Was out for about three hours. Apparently, it was the hottest day of the year so far, but I think it was much warmer a few weeks ago. I watched a bit of Katie Kookaburra on a 300km audax ride to a snowy peak somewhere in England. I got an email from Bullion Hall with a bunch of proposed workshop dates. Had my fish fingers and chips for tea and walked into Consett to catch a bus over to Jen's place. Got here at nine o'clock. She is out in town with friends. I'm watching eighties hits on Channel Five – Madonna, Cher, Tears for Fears… I'll probably go to bed soon. OK. 11.15pm.


Saturday 16th April 2022

Awake talking to Jenni till five in the morning so a bit tired today. Did a curtal sonnet in NaPoWriMo. Me and Jen went out for supplies. Tried to find the venue for a poetry gig taking place in Gateshead tonight but couldn't despite having the address. Watched the usual Saturday night TV fare. Ate too much chocolate. But pleased to be in short sleeves indoors for the first time this year in Bensham. Ready for another big sleep. OK. 10.35pm.


Sunday 17th April 2022

Another major lazy day but it's Easter Sunday. We had pie and veg dinner then watched an Agatha Christie drama ‘Why Didn't They Ask Evans’. Too many characters for my brain to follow. Mega apple pie and custard for tea. The John Darwin ‘canoe man’ drama tonight would seem a bit farfetched were it not true. Too much chocolate again. 10.15pm.


Monday 18th April 2022

This morning’s NaPoWriMo prompt was a very simple one: five responses to the same question without stating the question in the poem. Canny day but spent some of it asleep. I've scrolled the news and social media and watched a bit of television. Enjoyed the John and Ann Darwin drama. Major insurance fraud in Hartlepool. Six and a half years in prison for claiming life insurance after hubby fakes death. Was meant to be going home tonight but would have meant getting home at about quarter to one, so staying over an extra night. Jen says she'll probably be up and about tomorrow. I need to crack on this week. 11.25pm.


Tuesday 19th April 2022

Got another NaPoWriMo piece written this morning and keyed in some notes on the mobile device. Had a shave then went into Gateshead for a few supplies. Jen was downstairs cooking risotto when I got back. I had steak pie and beans. We watched a great 2-part drama from 2012 starring Hermione Norris and Martin Clunes called A Mother’s Son. Got the 9.15pm bus back to Consett. Walked home to Moorside. 11.41pm.


Wednesday 20th April 2022

Some of the computer settings went haywire. Jenni helped me get them back so I could save some files to Microsoft 365 again. Grass was a total bastard. The mower chewed it. Took the grass box off and it was much easier after that. Listened to Henry Rollins ‘Good to See You’ show on YouTube. It was okay but I still totally disagree with that ‘anti-science people took my European dates off me’ line. The central story about an intruder was good but I’ve heard him do stronger material. Tonight, I tried to reread my morning pages from January and take some notes. 10.15pm.


Thursday 21st April 2022

Ibuprofen did bugger all for my thumb. Holding a pen is difficult. Scrolling a touchscreen device is a pain. Went to King Ink this evening. Some great poems, particularly James Whitman’s ‘awkward sex’ poem, Stephen McGowan’s ‘Time’ and Chris Cunningham’s ‘Walk on Holmeside’ rewrite of the Lou Reed song. Some nature poems and strong pieces about place. The 78-bus to Consett managed to hook me up with the mini link to Moorside, so I was home by eleven. Eight-hour round trip. Hope the woman coughing next to me on the bus hasn’t spread lurgy on me. OK. 11.28pm.


Friday 22nd April 2022


Thumb not so bad today. I did some reading up on fiction theory in prep for next week’s Waddy course. Then some abdominal exercises and a ride down by the river on the Sonder Frontier bike. Did some small rock sections and some water sections but mainly just trundling along. I want to get away to new places to find better terrain. Getting bored with the same old routes through local woodland. And I’d like to find some pallets that I can practice scooping up onto. This evening I watched an Ali Clarkson bike build video. He manages to custom build and test about four or five bikes a year. I listened to a bit of The Cult from a recent Florida date and I messaged Jenni about Poetry Jam possibly returning in June. I had grilled luncheon meat and Red Leicester in a sandwich for supper. I am no further forward with an assessment exercise for the Waddy course. Hope to pull the first session together on Monday. OK. 10.42pm.


Saturday 23rd April 2022

Thumb was okay till I picked up five paperbacks in one go and it started tingling again. I’ve been having a bit of a refresher course as prep for next week’s writing session. Chris Sykes story crafting. Then a teaching handbook which just freaked me the fuck out. Not an academic bone in my body. No matter, I’ll muddle through as I always do. I’m at Jen’s place, She’s out working. I got here at quarter to eleven. Bed soon. 11.45pm.


Sunday 24th April 2022

Big lazy day at Jen’s. I mentioned Carol Decker’s tweet about monthly heating bill. Turns out the T’Pau singer has been on Through the Keyhole so we checked out her pad. And ended up watching about four or five episodes. Later on, an excellent ‘Merrily, Merrily’ episode of Inside Number Nine. Bus home was okay. Hands cold. Wrists still bad this weekend. 11.29pm.


Monday 25th April 2022

Hands still tingling a bit. Spent most of the day working on the new Waddy course. It took a while to pull all the activities together. I caught a bit of Rollins talking about Johnny Cash and an altercation with an intruder. I had a shave this evening. Bought beans at the local shop using a few silver coins and 25p of copper. I cleared slug mess out of the kitchen plughole using a steel bolt and a sink plunger. Read a bit of Hollie McNish. Left thumb aching just from holding open the chunky paperback. 10.18pm.


Tuesday 26th April 2022

First session back at Waddy was good but I made the mistake of checking college emails twenty minutes before the start causing more hoop jumping and bureaucracy. I’m a bit subdued. Probs coz I woke in the night and didn’t get much sleep afterwards. Went out for more supplies tonight then just sat on the couch staring into space best part of an hour. I will contact the powers that be in the morning and sort out the requirements. I don’t have a driver’s licence or a passport, and my original birth certificate was lost during a DBS update some time ago. Might watch a DVD before bed. 11.00pm.


Wednesday 27th April 2022

Full day at the computer, mainly responding to college requests and typing up notes but also sorting out a poster for Poetry Jam and responding to queries. Been listening to a band called Creeper who have a goth emo feel and not really the standard fare for fifty-something blokes. Also listened to the new Half Man Half Biscuit album. They always sounded like Grumpy Old Men – even back in 1986. Tonight, I turned off the computer at around half ten. I’m hoping to get a good night’s sleep. Last night, I dreamt that one of the actors I know from Flint Hill was hosting parties in a huge London house for the likes of Siouxsie Sioux and Duran Duran. Some of the Sunderland poets were there as well. OK 11.40pm.


Thursday 28th April 2022

Extreme fatigue. Tearful. Took me till almost lunchtime to get out of bed. NaPoWriMo was a concrete poem. I just wrote about being encased in concrete, didn’t reshape it on the page. Will be pleased when NaPoWriMo is over. I washed a few clothes this afternoon. And fixed a puncture on the Sonder Frontier. Watched Classic Albums: Queen – A Night at the Opera DVD to fill one hundred minutes this evening to take my mind off work problems. Jenni was in touch. She has been busy with laundry and crockery washing-up. I would like to ride the bike, but my head is so mashed I’m concerned I’d have an accident. Back tyre rather soft again. Bed soon. 11.18pm.


Friday 29th April 2022

I woke at five this morning and couldn’t get back to sleep. NaPoWriMo prompt was to write about gifts you were born with. The Leonard Cohen line about a golden voice came to mind. And I wondered if that’s where the prompt came from. The weather was pretty fantastic today. I went into town for supplies, tried to get another 27.5 x 2.8 inner tube for the Sonder (even though I already have one spare) but none at Bits 4 Bikes. I got food then walked home. Then went in the garden and chewed up grass with the lawnmower. There is a bird trapped inside the facia board on the front of the house. Without a ladder, I’m unable to investigate. And the board would need dismantling to free it. It’s been scrabbling about for hours. Anyway, had a good time on the Sonder tonight. Just trundling mainly. Tyre stayed inflated for the duration but will be flat by morning. I need to be in bed soon. Good to hear from Jenni earlier. 10.11pm.


Saturday 30th April 2022

Morning pages took ages. Kept getting distracted by poor bird trapped in the facia board. It’s still in there. Today was a workday. Got Tuesday’s session prepped and the notes from last week keyed in. Listened to loads of Michael Monroe songs on Spotify. Made up a new morning pages book for May. I’ve been pretty wiped out mentally over the last few days. Hope I get better sleep tonight. OK. 11.17pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment